TOTAL SILENCE: 9 Murdered, 18 Shot in ‘Gun Free’ Chicago Over the Weekend

Originally published at: TOTAL SILENCE: 9 Murdered, 18 Shot in ‘Gun Free’ Chicago Over the Weekend | Sean Hannity

At least nine people were murdered and 18 more injured in Chicago during a deadly weekend; raising new questions over safety and security across the nation’s third largest city.

“Nine people were killed and 18 others wounded in citywide gun violence over the weekend,” reports the Chicago Sun Times. “The latest fatal shooting happened Monday in Dunning on the Northwest Side.”

“Jordon Cooper, 23, was standing on the street about 1:03 a.m. in the 700 block of North St. Louis Avenue when someone unleashed gunfire, Chicago police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office said,” adds the newspaper. “Cooper was struck in the head and pronounced dead on the scene, authorities said.”

Last weekend, six people were shot to death and 28 others injured in gun violence across Chicago.

Last week, Mayor Lori Lightfoot blamed the city’s escalating gun violence on “cowardly Republicans” in neighboring states.

“If the past three years have taught us anything, however, it’s that governing and debating via social media does not solve most problems. So rather than hashing this out 280 characters at a time, let me expound here: Maybe Cruz will listen to what I’m trying to say,” writes Lightfoot.

Opinion: "Ted Cruz and others should stop using Chicago as a punching bag," writes Chicago mayor Lori Lightfoot for The Post https://t.co/HqPqGA8npq

— The Washington Post (@washingtonpost) September 9, 2019

“Sixty percent of firearms owned or used illegally recovered in Chicago come from outside Illinois. These guns don’t recognize state lines or city boundaries. Cruz said the five U.S. cities with the highest murder rates ‘have had Democratic mayors for decades and aggressive gun control policies — none seems to be working.’ He’s making my case for me: As long as people can drive from Illinois to Indiana and purchase a personal arsenal without a background check, Chicago’s gun laws will always be as weak as those of the closest permissive state,” she adds.

“Ted Cruz and others should stop using Chicago as a punching bag,” writes Lightfoot.

Read the Chicago mayor’s full op-ed here.