Too Much Wildlife - We Need To Kill More Of It

How about your state? Our deer population is exploding lately. Not enough hunters to help keep the species in check. Without us, there simply aren’t enough natural predators around anymore. Rodents will follow, along with disease.

October 6-8 marks the date for Missouri’s new 2023 early antler-less portion of firearms deer season. My brother-in-law hasn’t been seen in a while. Prolly won’t be heard from again until late November. lol

Anyone else noticing a dramatic increase in deer carcasses on the sides of the roads? Might wanna consider stuffing that freezer a little extra full this year. :wink:

2 Likes

I wish it was true up here in WA. Taking a deer with my flintlock is on my bucket list.
We have a few that hang out sometimes at our range, but our range master being a big meanie won’t allow me to shoot one. :cry:

That’s a shame. I hear the deer up there are pretty big too.

Mostly Columbian blacktail around here, but not as big as muleys in E WA.
Just the right size for a .490 round ball.

That’s a LOT of bullet for one body. lol

I myself stick with 5.56mm neck shots. I don’t believe in chasing my food.

Minimum .24 cal up here.
My round balls are only doing 1700 at the muzzle.

How long do they allow y’all to do bow? Over in KY we have until about mid-January.

In North Carolina (northwestern unit), Archery season opened September 9 and runs to November 3.
Black powder runs from November 4 to Nov 17.
Gun runs from November 18 to January 1.

The dates vary somewhat in the northeastern, southeastern, central and western units.

1 Like

And there little better eating then Mulies…sure miss the corn fed white tail back in Ohio and Pa.

For archery this year, we’re going from September 15, 2023 to November 10, 2023 and November 22, 2023 to January 15, 2024.

It intersects with the firearms seasons. There’s also a lot more to hunt than just deer:

https://mdc.mo.gov/hunting-trapping/seasons/species

1 Like