Toilet seat up or down

In anoffice setting, if the restroom is single room that both sexes share, should the seat be left up or down?

Why do people care about this ? However the last person leaves it is fine.

Down. Always down when it is not in use, anywhere. Treat every toilet seat like a house toilet seat.

I’m more worried about the people who ■■■■ on the floor… (I use to work at a provincial park)

Just curious

put both the seat and the cover down so everyone has to lift something before they use it… it’s only fair

1 Like

And i’m curious why it makes a difference to anyone

Because some people don’t look before sitting down, and if the seat is up, they plop onto cold porcelain, or worse, directly into the water in the bowl.

I’m more concerned about such people than whether or not the seat should be handled a certain way.

1 Like

If it’s down, I lift it.

If it’s up, she lowers it.

All is well with the world. lol

LOL yeah, seems like a pretty easy solution to that problem.

This is exactly the mindset that extended the argument for another year with mine.
She considered this solution trolling.

If all men were sitzpinklers, this wouldn’t be an issue.

Down.

Let’s assume the following:

· The office has 10 employees – 5 women and 5 men
· They all share the same unisex toilet
· All employees agree to adhere to the same post-toilet seat scenario
· Women poop once a day and pee three times a day, the equivalent of 4 sit-down events
· Men poop once a day and pee twice a day, the equivalent of 1 sit-down event and 2 standing events
· Each toilet seat “change” takes 2 seconds. In other words, it takes 2 seconds to change the seat from down to up, and 2 seconds to change the seat from up to down.
· The office is open 5 days a week, or 260 days per year

With those assumptions, we have the following two scenarios:

The seat is up following each event:

· If the seat is up following each event, that means the following:
o Each woman is doing 8 seat changes per day; each man is doing 2 seat changes per day (up to down to up for his daily poop)
o With 5 women and 5 men, this is 50 seat changes per day, or 100 seconds per day
o Over the course of a year, this is 26,000 seconds, or 433 minutes, or 7.2 hours in lost productivity to seat changes

· If this seat is down following each event, that means the following:
o Each woman is doing 0 seat changes per day; each man is doing 4 seat changes per day (down to up to down for his 2 daily pees)
o That is 20 seat changes per day
o Over the course of a year, this is 10,400 seconds, or 2.9 hours in lost productivity to seat changes

So from a workplace efficiency standpoint, it makes more sense to go seat-down, provided we have an equal number of men and women. The break-even point is a 4:1 male ratio. In a ten-person workplace, if you have 8 men and 2 women, it’s a wash (16,640 seconds per year regardless of the selected option) The other variables are events/day.

Clearly, Crohn’s or IBS in the male population would change the model, but for now, I’m comfortable with these assumptions and numbers, and this leaves out the benefits of reduced seat touching.

2 Likes

That was awesome.

1 Like

If you were there when my wife sat on an open toilet in the middle of the night in the dark, heh. That was 27 years ago and suffice it to say I haven’t left one up since. :laughing:

k that i can see - at night only - but why do people not turn the light on in the bathroom ?

She didn’t want to wake me I suppose.

I try not to turn the light on so I won’t wake all the way up. Seems like if I turn the light on, there’s no going back to sleep.
I raised my sons to put the seat down when they are done and was surprised when I work with a guy who obviously was not.

If there’s some sort of a light coming through the door anyhow so you can see what you’re doing, I understand.

Going in pitch dark seems like a bad idea, one could potentially stumble over something and get injured.

automatic nightlights in the bathroom are nifty

1 Like