This may not be what the President wanted to hear today

He already said he would.

Trump didn’t lose the Senate, there are just a handful of Republicans who don’t agree with him on this.

Yes, for reasons stated above. Trump will end the emergency before it gets to a Senate vote, IMO.

That will be quite a humiliation.

If he moves a few hundred million around to build a few miles of fence, his base will be appeased. He’s demonstrated time and time again that they need almost no reason to declare “Mission Accomplished!”

He barely squeaked by in the swing states in 2016. He’s going to need to do even better to beat a moderate Democrat instead of Baba Yaga. And an obvious power grab like this won’t help.

A power grab like this should scare the crap out of my conservative friends who do support Trump. As it can have grave consequences for decades to come. It would be more erosion of our system of checks and balances.

I still don’t understand why Congress would have written this law in such a way that allows the President to squelch their override with a veto.

Which is why he won’t go through with it. Too many smart people in his own party telling him what a potential disaster it would be.

Since the Senate voted with Bill Clinton.

He already supports the president in this action…he just doesnt know if its legal

I had not caught that. So McConnell is saying he would support an illegal action by the President? That’s wild.

What? Explain that.

I cant find it but i know I heard it. Might have been when he declared on the senate floor

I don’t believe that will happen with Trump’s ego. The resolution will pass the Senate and Trump will likely veto it.

As I understand it, the original Act provided for Congress being able to shoot down an emergency declaration with a concurrent resolution, which couldn’t be vetoed. However, there was a case some years back where SCOTUS ruled that what was effectively a legislative veto was unconstitutional, so they amended the law to call for a joint resolution, which CAN be vetoed by the executive.

I think this is correct as well. Congress cannot legislate away a president’s constitutional veto power.

That isnt even remotely true. He simply knows and is well aware of the long term implications that this had. At some point the dems will control the presidency and McConnell doesnt want to be the one who sat on letting a president redirect funds for pet projects, cause it goes real bad from there.

Then he’ll be dealing with multiple court fights and open resentment within his own party for the next, oh let’s say, 19 months. I think not.

Although I never agree with Rand Paul, he was right-on in his decision limiting the Executive Branch more power.

“I can’t vote to give the president the power to spend money that hasn’t been appropriated by Congress.”

Thank you, that explains it.