The Wall debate makes zero sense to me

The OP asks some really good questions. The timing of this strikes me as really odd. If Trump was going to dig his heels in the sand and demand Congress fund the wall, it would have made a lot more sense to do so when he had a Republican House and Senate. Now, he only has the Senate.

But, as the OP mentioned, if Trump is going to be a man of his word and have Mexico fund the wall, he is talking to the wrong people. Congress has no jurisdiction on how Mexico spends their money. They can’t legislate that Mexico cough up the wall funding. Mexico is a sovereign nation. Further, any demand for US taxpayers for said funding is breaking his promise.

3 Likes

And TSA hasn’t even missed a paycheck yet…

If I were TSA, I’d call in sick.

It’s going to get ugly. I know CBP agents who are worried.

an illeg alien in arizona is twice as likely to commit a crime than a natiral born citizen

90% of all fentynol and heroin come across the southern border

there are 56000 illegal aliens in the fed pen

illeg aliens cost tax payers 135 billion every year

can we agree there is a problem on the southern border?

2 Likes

In general, undocumented aliens are statistically less likely to commit crimes than citizens. Most drug traffic over the border is through points of entry. The flow of illegals over the border is currently negative, so a wall would keep them in, not out. The number of illegals in the country is currently at a decades-long low. The only emergency is in the orange idiot’s fever dream.

3 Likes

Thinkingman,

I am so glad you responded, seeing as how, you support the President and all.

Unfortunately, though, you didn’t respond to any of my questions/concerns.

Nobody disagrees that we need to reform our immigration system and upgrade border security.

My questions revolve around: Why are we paying a dime for the wall? Does Trump support a wall across the entire U.S-Mexico border or just most of the border? What is Trump’s plan for border security, other than upgrading the wall we already have?

1 Like

Most of the illegal drugs that come from the South are smuggled in through legal checkpoints.

https://tucson.com/news/local/border/most-hard-drugs-smuggled-through-legal-border-crossings/article_46653d40-7f63-5102-bb38-38da58c06a76.html

I would suspect if the government is truly interested in curtailing this, they (the government) would spent the money on better drug detection techniques instead of some debt-increasing wall.

The $135 billion you state, that seems a bit high. Is there a government study that mentions this? I would like to read it. Do you know what percentage of this money is from folks whose visas have expired yet continue to live here?

1 Like

Right, and that’s why framing the debate as wall = secured borders is false.

If Trump is simply asking for a wall and nothing else, then he’s not doing a good job of protecting the border.

1 Like

i cant keep active in this discussion right now but will be checking in here and there only because you seem interested in serious discussion

my first post established that at the very least we can agree there is a huge problem with those aspects at that border.

a wall is but one part of a system of good border security. but an impt one. there are vast tunnels built across the border some equipped with rails and solar powered lights! this is proof that great effort and expense is taken to avoid checkpoints. of course walls dont help block tunnels but the overall point is any way around checkpoints will be sought no matter the effort. also proving the wall is not the only answer. but a necessary part. i wish the admin was better at communicating that

It’s necessary in some areas and not necessary in others. We already have miles of border wall. We need other upgrades rather than more miles of border wall.

100% agreed. I am not comprehending on what people actually want.

Building a wall across the ENTIRE U.S-Mexico border is an improbable and extremely costly endeavor. We essentially would have to FORCE people to sell their homes and get rid of U.S Environmental laws around the Rio Grande and cancel our agreement with Mexico.

I am under the mindset of, if takes 10 billion to upgrade our border security system and put up proper fencing, I wouldn’t mind at all paying a little more in taxes. This is important. But Trump hasn’t really detailed how long or wide the fence should be or how he’s going to bypass government agreements, pay out land previous administrations couldn’t do (We’re talking Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush, and Obama) or have the Mexico pay for at least some of the costs.

Other politicians who said, “I agree with Trump on the wall” in the past, have all said, “I never said physical wall. I meant a metaphoric wall”.

2 Likes

The barrier is necessary along most of the border.

The barrier is a foundation for high tech methods.

I am of the opinion that the border patrol has convinced President Trump of the necessity of the barrier and he will stand firm.

Trust the border agents if you don’t trust Trump.

:children_crossing:

1 Like

“The Wall” has always been a metaphor for border security. It just happens that it’s impossible to build a metaphor. Donald doesn’t understand ideas, he understands building things. He most likely lacks object permanence.

the wall wont stop everything. but great effort and expense is made to avoid checkpoints

135 billion tax burden acc to FAIR:

No see…if this happens, it’ll give him his excuse to call a “national emergency” like he wants to do.

If that happens you know for a fact that the next Democratic president is going to declare global warming a national emergency.

We don’t disagree on the substance here. I am lean toward the right on most political issues. The only problem I have with the GOP is their bigotry toward LGBTQ people.

All what Trump talks about is building a wall, and that’s it. I have heard nothing about the length, how he’s going to work around environmental law or private property rights. He hasn’t talked about cracking down on people with expired visas or people who money launder. It’s all about the wall and that’s it. Now if you want to explain to me, Trump’s plan for all this, I am all ears.

No- great effort and expenses are not made to avoid checkpoints…not when it comes to drugs.

And again this doesn’t address that illegal immigration is at lows, not highs…indicating what we’re doing now is working and we simply need to enhance current methods…not waste money on a wall boondoggle.

Although it would indeed be helpful if it was defined precisely what wall we’re talking about. On that, I agree with the OPer.

Trump doesn’t seem to know though because what he wants seems to change depending on when you ask him.

1 Like

Well, if you can’t believe a hate group with ties to white supremacists, who can you believe?

2 Likes