The surge in shoplifting across America and its cost to businesses and consumers

What does that have to do with the claim that self check out is mostly where theft happens?

Prison can be a deterrent. Some people are a little more committed.

The thing is that you would be housing someone who say… stole an ATV battery but has no history of violence with other criminals who are violent and commit crimes such as armed robbery.

They will learn a thing or two from those hardened criminals who are in the system.

1 Like

This is what happens when you teach there are no social norms or morality in public schools. And when people have no personal honor.

3 Likes

This I fully agree with.

There has to be some basic standards in society. And all to often today no one teaches the kids about those basic standards.

It’s mostly the parents. Or lack thereof. Specifically absent fathers.

4 Likes

So, you think someone who steals a car battery shouldn’t be punished for it because they would have to be housed with other criminals? What about the people in prison for possession of mamajuana? Were there any such concerns for those folks or did they break the law and pay the price?

Your car battery thief made a choice. He could have picked up some work sweeping, washing windows, etc. until he could afford to buy the battery.

This feeling sorry for thieves is why we are where we are today.

2 Likes

Yes, the great society legislation was obviously designed to get men out of the homes where they are most needed.

1 Like

For one, they should be punished. I never said they shouldn’t be.

They should be forced to pay for the item plus interest as well as pay significant fines. If they cannot pay those fines, then they should be placed in a forced community service program to pay off the fine performing work for the county. Such as roadway beautification projects or cleaning trash from public property.

Secondly, I don’t feel sorry for thieves.

My entire point is that I don’t see the point of putting them in actual PRISON. An institution that is well known to turn non-violent criminals into violent criminals.

1 Like

And, when DA’s don’t prosecute crimes. What do you expect to happen when the limit of theft is higher than an honest week’s wage?

What school doesn’t teach that “stealing is bad”?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/09/business/self-checkout-retail/index.html

Stores also incur higher losses and more shoplifting at self-checkouts than at traditional checkout lanes with human cashiers.

In that quote is a link to an Atlantic article that describes shoplifting at self checkouts in more detail.

One of the studies cited there suggests that self checkouts actually turn some people who ordinarily would never steal into shoplifters…because it is so easy to do.

Glad to hear you offer that solution. I believe in something along those lines myself as an alternative. Offer the option: Prison or restitution.

I personally think they should have to work for the entity they stole from at minimum wage. Let the co-workers and the customers see them every day. If the county is utilizing them for projects then the county should have to reimburse the entity that was stolen from.

All the public schools as far as I know. They teach it’s a sign on “income inequality” as far as I know.

On what basis would govt schools teach stealing is bad?

So we are just making up stuff now?

Cool!

2 Likes

This coming from the guy who believes in reparations. Just who do you think that money would be stolen from to pay for it?

You’ve got some mixed messages going out there to the youth.

I bet you can’t find one reference to public schools teaching that stealing is bad… Under what course would that be?

I think you are a bit confused. Here is the CA law on shoplifting

“California Penal Code [CPC] §459.5(a) – Shoplifting – Penal Code Section 459.5 makes it illegal to enter a commercial establishment with the intent to steal while the establishment is open during regular business hours. The value of the property must not exceed $950. “Any other entry into a commercial establishment with intent to commit larceny is burglary.”[1]

If you’re convicted of a misdemeanor act of shoplifting, the penalty may be six months in a county jail, a $1,000 fine, or both a fine and jail time. However, if you’re convicted of a felony, the penalty for a first offense may be up to three years in a state prison and/or a fine of up to $10,000.

Remember: A felony violation of Section 459.5 is punishable under California’s “Three Strikes” system. If you receive three “strikes” on your record, you’ll serve a minimum of twenty-five years in state prison.“

In other words… even stealing under $950 dollars is considered a misdemeanor and punishable with county jail time and/or fines.

Over $950 is a felony.

So all shoplifting has penalties.

This discussion isn’t about reparations.

It’s about stealing and school allegedly not teaching that stealing is bad.

What school does this?

Not my kids school. They have a very strict policy on stealing that could result in suspense or expulsion.

Some crime is a sign of wealth inequality. But that doesn’t mean stealing isn’t wrong. The two can be true at the same time.

Those laws are racist. That’s why so many minorities are in jail. right? That’s the thinking that got this started and it comes from the left.

Penalties are worth nothing when not enforced.

Why is anyone confused that the value must not exceed $950.00? Does that include sales tax?

1 Like