The surge in shoplifting across America and its cost to businesses and consumers

I say social distancing and no hand shaking.

The muzzles are not as good as social distancing.

1 Like

Didn’t I say mostly?

What did democrats do to enable this?

Good question…

Seems like your thoughts are “Democrats!!”. But offered zero evidence.

That is a good question, I do know that the bagging areas are actually scales and sometimes it will register something that is heavier than it is supposed to be and it alerts to an item in the bag that was not scanned. Also, the one individual who is working the area has a screen that shows everything scanned per station, so they can see if larger items are not scanned. In the one in our town, they often come to the station with said larger items. Additionally, ANY electronic item, ie: laptop, tv, even cell phone charger is scanned and paid for in electronics. So, while they may be a part of the issue, I would venture to say a small part.

1 Like

Here’s how WalMart can help to stop or minimize it.

Close down self checkout lanes…hire more workers.

Stop making the customers do WalMart’s jobs for free.

2 Likes

You would also have to factor in that after the initial investment companies are saving money by not having to hire as many cashiers. So for whatever is the potential amount of money lost via self-checkout from shoplifting that is likely more than offset by not having to hire the additional cashiers.

I won’t shop at a place that doesn’t have self check-out

Then accept higher prices due to shoplifting.

That’s where it happens (mostly).

97% of your roof doesn’t leak. :rofl:

Anything over $10.00 is treated as a felony.

Ask the insurance companies that question. Ask the soft on crime DA’s that question. Ask the corporations what their policies are that question.

1 Like

Woah $10.00?

I would be down to lowering it to $500.It’s currently $1000.00 in my state and that’s too high.

But $10.00? I hate thieves but the punishment must fit the crime. I don’t see how one could make a $10.00 theft a felony without running afoul of the bill of rights.

Provide your proof

1 Like

I’d love to get $999.99 of free stuff for a slap on the wrist. That is just encouraging theft.

Need a can of Tuna fish? A loaf of bread and can’t pay for it? That I can understand although there are food banks everywhere.

Want an $800.00 pressure washer? With those limits, a thief just walks out the door with it. A company gets hit repeatedly like that, especially a small family owned business and it will put them out of business.

Who matters more? The thief or the guy who abides by the law, provides product and pays taxes?

1 Like

I understand that but im pretty sure if a state decided to go for the $10.00 felony theft route it would get destroyed in the court systems for being “cruel and unusual” punishment.

I agree with the sentimentality of it all, but I don’t see how it could practically be done since punishments must fit the crime committed.

It’s the reason we don’t cut off the arms of people who steal like they still do in Saudi Arabia.

1 Like

Stealing is a crime, I don’t care how small the dollar amount. If “you” want to prevent all of the theft going on, the only way to do it is to make the punishment a deterrent.

I get that but there will be some unintended consequences.

You start sending the mass of petty thieves to actual prison and they are going to learn how to do a lot worse when they get out.

Prison is basically a training camp for ruthless criminals. A lot of them go in fairly harmless (from the physical safety standpoint) and content to committing small crimes but while in the pen they learn how to be ruthless criminals. Because they are housed with other ruthless criminals and rely on those same ruthless criminals to protect them while incarcerated.

I get your point. I hate thieves myself. But sometimes the cure ends up being worse than the original symptom.

1 Like

“Over time, Walmart has restrained from actively entering urban areas and instead has predominately focused on on rural and suburban regions. Walmart currently serves as the primary low-cost retailer for a high contingent of rural poor Americans, operating with “2.5 times as much selling space per inhabitant in the poorest one-third of states as in the richest one-third.”[4] Although the firm initially faced great resistance from local retailers within small rural towns, evidence points to a more positive economic impact for those towns in which a Walmart was located relative to those where one was not.[5] Such commitment to under served markets has enabled Walmart to aggressively expand its footprint across rural America—ninety percent of Americans now live within 10 miles of a Walmart store.“

Punishment isn’t a deterrent. And even if you make it a felony… the prison sentence would be what? 1 year?

Now that person has a felony on their record… will it be easier or harder for them to not steal?

So you think going to prison isn’t a deterrent?

Do you think getting away with theft doesn’t embolden a thief to commit more crimes?

1 Like

Yikes, not being punished for a crime makes it easier to steal or have you not been paying attention?

I live within 7 miles of 2 Walmarts, 3 Targets, and 3 Home Depots (12 miles to one more of each)