The Senate invokes cloture on Thomas Farr's nomination to be United States District Judge for the E.D.N.C. by a vote of 51 to 50 (Pence breaking the tie and Senator Flake voting no)

If you don’t get it you are I’ll informed, Valerie Jarrett is a radical commie and Obama supported her!

Maybe because it’s not what I was addressing.

Specific to that question, Flake should not vote for a racist, and Flake should have voted for this nominee.

See, I don’t buy the assertion that he’s racist. But again, that’s not related to the point I was making (and have definitively clarified that I was making.)

Wasn’t McConnell able to block the appointment of some judges during Obama’s second term? I remember it as McConnell refused to issue the blue slip for a vote. My memory is a little vague on this but I have the impression that McConnell was able to gum up the process which led to a judicial crisis in some areas of the country.

Um… This nominee really looks like a racist man.

Farrs nom is dead.

https://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/article222386255.html

Beat me to it. I was just in the process of posting.

BTW, I hope some posters learned a valuable lesson, criticizing Scott’s yes vote on cloture.

Voting yes on cloture does NOT necessarily indicate support the nominee or bill at issue. Senators have frequently voted yes on cloture and no on final passage/confirmation (and vice versa).

Glad to see this nomination die and I would rather see the seat remain vacant another 13 years than be filled by Farr.

1 Like

McConnell held the Senate Majority in the last two years of Obama’s Presidency, so of course could do anything he liked.

I would like to see an outright rejection, but McConnell probably will not allow a final vote, knowing that it will fail.

Let’s assume, for sake of argument, that Far is NOT racist in his heart. Let’s assume that he did the things he did out of pure partisan zeal. Which is a plausible viewpoint.

He STILL has no place being near a judgeship, based on the heinous nature of his acts.

His participation in partisan vote suppression legislation in North Carolina at the behest of the Jesse Helms organization in the late 1980’s and particularly his role in the mailing of 190,000 postcards to African American voters threatening them with arrest if the appeared at a polling place disqualifies him, even if the acts were committed out of partisan zeal, rather than racism.

The acts themselves are disqualifying.

3 Likes

How so?

Thanks in advance.