The Politics Forum and What Makes a Good Political Thread

what about my post was a diversion.
You want this website to have more adult debates, I said it would be hard when the President is acting like a child because it drives down the level of political discourse… everyone has to lower themselves to his level.

Its hard to have an adult conservation about the U.S Government when the President is saying Biden is going to send in the FBI to take everyone’s guns.

how can we have a rational debate on gun control when that is the position of the head of the Republican Party.

4 Likes

Of course there is, it’s impossible for human beings to be completely unbiased.

We do listen and have put things back, apologized, argued with each other, etc.

For arguing moderation in a thread?

I didn’t argue any moderation whatsoever.

Insults and disrespect are “conversations” ?

Ok, then I don’t remember.

Anytime you’re ready…

I’m about to get to that point. I’m so busy these days with working on my med school application (in general), that I don’t have time to really be dancing around and causing trouble. One girl on Facebook decided to be passive aggressive in an MBTI group, I called her out by asking why she was doing it, and it devolved to name-calling and insulting looks. I get called “horse-face” quite often, along with insults about my teeth (I have an overbite) and how dumb I am.

I just said that she has low self-esteem and she compensates for it by putting other people down (why else would she have to cling to an MBTI personality type), and that she needs a good ass whooping. And then blocked her. Yeah I know the part about the butt whooping was out of line, but it had gotten pretty ugly at that point. I don’t have time for immaturity. I don’t have time for BS. It’s time that I get on with my life and focus on more important things.

You may not have given me the TO. I was given a TO with no warning, no mod note, no anything other than the failed login due to TO message. 14 years unblemished. Model poster.

2 Likes

A subjective degree of topicality rule. Posts deemed not properly close enough to the given topic will be disposed of. The degree will vary in accordance to…? Who knows. Clear as mud.

Based on the interpretation of whatever moderator is participating in any given thread. Not as a result of flagging something that’s not in line with the TOS. But micromanaging moderation of threads while actively participating in them and subjectively determining which posts are pleasing to your interpretation versus which are subjectively not up to some arbitrary standard at the time.

Certainly lacking consistency, apparently as a result of inherent tribal blindness. My side does not offend as much as my opponents side. That seems to be the guiding principle.

Honestly, I’ve never seen a forum like what we have right now. Where the top poster is a moderator who also praises posts and babysits threads in an overt micromanaging fashion. Treating posters as if they’re not equals and also grown adults, but as subordinates in need of praise or reprimand, given the mood at the time.

I was hopeful with the changes and the big discussion we had. But this is something completely different and not in a good way. As @Jezcoe said this is a sure fire way to drive longtime posters away from the board. Maybe that’s the goal. I don’t know.

8 Likes

You guys keep saying “moderation is going to kill the forum”.

Could be, but people are leaving now and citing the trolling as the reason. Others have just stopped posting. Still others have said they won’t come back because of the trolling.

We’re asking you guys to help make it a place worth posting on.

2 Likes

Maybe things like this is why people don’t take complaints of trolling from the current mods that seriously.

2 Likes

Always been a rule. 17 years I know of.

So you don’t like the Mod Notes? You want to go back to the days of 50 posts disappearing without any idea why?

Why do the Mod Notes upset you?

Yes, it’s subjective. No way around that.

Does it? Based on what?

Oh, so I am personally the problem? What would like me to do? I will not apologize for praising posts. If you don’t want the Mod Notes, that’s fine. It’s kind of a pain in the behind anyway. They can just go poof along with all the replies to them. When I just posted it in the thread, people complained that they didn’t know if it was moderator or poster and both sides complained the other side was getting more Mod Notes.

If you get upset and call (or imply) another member is a racist, would you rather have a Mod Note and a chance to edit or a week off? Because those are the choices.

Is it at all possible that the behavior of the members is causing the problem?

Nothing like what we are seeing. And that was before flagging.

Personally it’s going to get lot worst IMO as the election gets closer.

This is my first post here in roughly 10 months.

Moderation isn’t going to kill the forum. It already did. The fact that the forum’s current most active mod is someone most well known for crafting 1-5 word troll replies year after year in order to build up an absurd post count in the hundreds of thousands, but is now here lecturing posters about how to craft proper posts, says all you really need to know about the state of this place.

This forum turned into exactly what the active cons here wanted it to be. An echo chamber where any dissent is relegated to obscure sub forums meant to belittle people. It’s not a political discussion forum any longer. It’s a couple of groups waging old feuds, but one of them now makes all of the rules,changes them arbitrarily, and bans whoever they want to.

It sucks, but it’s the truth.

11 Likes

Could be. I didn’t make it though, I didn’t know how to put words on them then.

And I wasn’t a moderator.

If I had known I was setting the example, I probably would have been more careful.

My apologies.

The mods didn’t even extend the courtesy of offering me clarification. A courtesy that I’ve extended in this very thread as to why I’m out. 14 years.

Thank you for your input.

So if I quit, you’ll all be nice to each other? If I stop posting so much?

I wasn’t a mod 10 months ago.

That is what we all want. We enjoy posting here and many of us have posted here for well over a decade and want to continue posting here.

Nebs last post encapsulated the feeling of more than a few on here.

instead of constantly defending your position, take a step back and consider the fact that quite possibly in a desire to try and make this forum better have made it worse.

The incessant “good posts” and “keep on track” while done with the best of intentions just reinforce the micromanagement. If you are actively particpating in a thread as a poster then let another mod do the moderating. We certainly have more than enough mods to do that.

Its ironic that you were one of the most vocal to complain when your threads were moved from politics fo vague reasons and now you have taken that to a whole new level.

This forum has never been so polarized as it is today and the idiotic sections such as slop or fever dreams and TDS are as others pointed ou insulting and demeaning which encourages the cycle of polarization.

As I keep saying I understand what you are trying to do but its not working.

When you created this thread I know it was a genuine desire to improve the level of discussion but because of everything else that has been implemented since you became a mod it is being perceived as sneaky just wanting to micromanage and control the forum more.

2 Likes

Yeah.

Apologies.

Cool.

I don’t actually give a ■■■■■ I laughed everytime you did that. It means that you had nothing left to say. I always accepted your defeat.

But you can see why people are balking at this crack down and micromanaging of threads from a dude who uses the “Socratic method” as a tool to never make an actual point and who trolls with pictures, emojis and one word responses.

I don’t flag, I don’t complain… even that time you physically threatened me… I just made a statement and ignored you because it doesn’t really matter.

If you guys want to kill this place faster… go on ahead.

This is the exact way to do it.

4 Likes