The Politics Forum and What Makes a Good Political Thread

Again, this accusation of trolling is not an explanation. I still have no idea what you consider to be trolling versus what I consider to be trolling. It’s such a wildly subjective thing and without clear direction, everyone here is just blindly guessing at what you guys mean.

I don’t consider discussing the dissolution of the Trump charity in the NRA thread to be trolling. The AG specifically referred to it in her filing and her statements on the issue. The agreement by the Trump charity to dissolve was based on the exact same principles and accusations being made against the NRA. Both are happening in NY, under the charge of the same AG.

To you guys anyone bringing up the Trump charity in that thread is “trolling.” To me, the Trump charity is not only on topic in that thread, but integral to the discussion in a variety of ways.

How can anyone here logically be expected to understand what “trolling” is defined as by you all, when this is the case and you refuse to explain it for the posters here?

1 Like

First two sentences are an insult. If we didn’t care, we wouldn’t be here.

That’s why we’re have.

Moderation is as heavy or light as you guys make it. It’s still light starting off.

When somebody puts in the effort to make a good post and in the 2nd or 10th post it turns into Trump sucks HaHa! Or Biden’s Mental Gaha! And here comes the troll show, it’s disrespectful to those that try.

I agree with your assessment of the basics for a quality thread. Topics that start with an OP that includes a link to info relevant to what their post is about and their own opinion on the story is a solid start to discussion. Simply dumping a news article without subtext feels like stirring the pot and an attempt to not put forth effort explaining their position and running away. Off topic posts are a real drain to navigate through to find points of interest. Trolling is subjectively entertaining, yet I see that while a lot of posters want increased quality in discourse, a lot also want to be able to troll and be as cheeky as possible.

The posters on this site have proven at times to be able to maintain civil political dialogue, with the normal rabble rousers interjecting. Going about splicing rabble rousers and off-topic posts into the recycling bin without a lot of transparency to what the new standard of excellence the political forum must achieve is really counter productive. Naming that recycling bin “Fever Dreams” is insulting and a waste of a good attempt to accomplish your goal as it breeds non-compliance. Why not create a “Casual Political” category with less moderation that allows for trolling but is also focused on political topics? If you chose to separate those here for entertainment without an avenue for them to express themselves, they will either try harder or leave.

2 Likes

My question was can the guarantee be made that this suggestion in the OP will not become a New minimum standard.

I think you got some of the obvious ones. Let me add a few more:

• Respect
  • Civility
  • Sincerity/Honesty

No matter your position, a good discussion cannot be conducted without these three qualities.

One that might be a precursor to these would be purpose. What purpose does a discussion have? Often times, political discussions are (or should be) the means where people reached common ground that would satisfy everyone. It’s what the Founding Fathers did when discussing the Constitution.

It really bothers me when people blatantly troll, as it not only destroys the potential for a good discussion, but it also runs people out of town and out of dodge.

The CF thread started by @hwyflier about his post in the NRA thread, which was deemed trolling is a completely new rule. His post was conducive to debate, was topical, had an appropriate link for support, furthered the conversation, etc. This is completely new stuff man.

4 Likes

Be patient. Did I address your whole post now?

Off topic question for a sec: is Fever Dreams in reference to something or a pun?

1 Like

What are you classifying as micromanagement?

This is a good point. What is the backstory behind why the category is titled “Fever Dreams”?

1. Why is insulting to whom?

2. Casual political forum? Allows for trolling? Go to Facebook. This has an owner and a name attached to it.

Good grief man. You’ve been around these parts for a long time. You’ve been around political forums for a long time. Having people insult the POTUS in the 2nd and 4th and 10th and 15th post is just part of the territory. It was this way with W. Bush on these forums. It was this way with Obama on these forums. It has been this way with Trump on these forums.

Until now. Now it’s being micromanaged and deemed unacceptable. The first 16 years it was fine. But not now. Now reference in political discussions to the President and Chief Politician of the country is only allowed when subjectively the moderator accepts it. When they subjectively decide not to accept it, then it’s trolling. Okay. Clear as mud.

4 Likes

None. Why do you want a guarantee?

One more off-topic (but not off-forum) post, and I’ll shut up. In the past, I have noticed that my intuition and desire for objective justice are assets to my moderating. However, I think I am often too “hot-headed” to really lead anything.

I mean, I don’t usually go out searching to be mean to people, but if they attack me, I seem to think it is open season. I also tend to hold strong opinions on one topic, almost to the extent of entitlement. That topic being abortion. I know I need to work on this. It’s not easy, but it needs to be done.

It’s what happens when people’s minds go wild on a topic rather than asserting factual discussion. Aka fake news.

1 Like

This is the crux of it isn’t it? Our host has attached himself to Trump, and you can’t have too many anti-Trump posts on this forum. It was never an issue before with Bush, or Obama, but all of a sudden, it’s an issue with Trump.

3 Likes

I didn’t know I had an OP to drag anywhere. I thought that was an opening post – one per thread. As pointed out in your OP point 2.

Still, what’s the incentive to have a good OP if they’re going to be sent to Fever Dreams?

2 Likes

There is a systemic bias in the moderating team over what is deemed on-topic, trolling, and fake news.

5 Likes

If the President stopped acting like a fourth grader there would be less dumb thread on this website.

7 Likes

No, not insult the POTUS. I don’t care about that. The “Biden gonna hurt God” thread is a perfectly legit thread. Good OP.

Falwell’s zipper and Graham etc, are the drag down. It’s the oneupmanship. Then “they’re bad Christians” “How can a Christians want weapons of war”. Now we’re in the gutter and completely off topic. And insulting 60 million people, some of whom are members here.

It never ends because there’s no self control.

1 Like