The National Divorce

Christian nationalists want to define America as a Christian nation and they want the government to promote a specific cultural template as the official culture of the country. Some have advocated for an amendment to the Constitution to recognize America’s Christian heritage, others to reinstitute prayer in public schools. Some work to enshrine a Christian nationalist interpretation of American history in school curricula, including that America has a special relationship with God or has been “chosen” by him to carry out a special mission on earth. Others advocate for immigration restrictions specifically to prevent a change to American religious and ethnic demographics or a change to American culture. Some want to empower the government to take stronger action to circumscribe immoral behavior.

Texas

1 Like

Ooh this is a fun trivia game. Wait i know this. Oh yeah i remembered now “who is Cesar Sayac”.

1 Like

I love the self righteousness of it. Neither “team” has clean hands here.

Dude bombed a federal building 20 years ago killed a bunch of kids. Called himself a patriot and everything but Tim apparently wasn’t a real conservative…

We can go much more recent than that (27 years BTW) and still produce plenty of examples of right wing violence and terrorism.

But so can they.

Nevertheless, the poster sanctimoniously cherry picks some events and calls it a war. I don’t know what we should focus on first: the extreme hate of the right, or their deep seated victimhood

1 Like

Of course you are right but I only go Timothy because nothing has matched (not even cumulatively) that little act of no true conservative terror

1 Like

So we are at war…is that what you’re saying?

Nope. I am not. I am saying that the examples are not examples of war or battles but acts of terror. Acts of terror can mean war but i don’t believe that they are in our case. Though some of the actors (terror actors not drama actors) did admit to acting in order to start a war…

I have said this earlier in the thread, but I’ll reprise it here.

I don’t think this civil war in the thread topic is going to be like the last one. I think it’s going to look a lot like the troubles, à la The Turner Diaries.

You know…McVeigh’s favorite book.

Some version or level of troubles have happened several times in this country in the past 65 years. They come and go. I am the eternal glass half full guy.

I still say despite divisions and mass shootings this country is nowhere near as divided as it was in late 60s to mid 70s

There were actual revolutions being planned….

And here you are in a “national divorce” thread.

1 Like

Yep trying to talk people off the ledge so to speak.

And the bombings. It is crazy how many bombings took place back then

It’s a valiant effort that falls on deaf ears I’m afraid. The echo chambers have drawn the battle lines.

1 Like

It’s on my radar as a possibility.

America’s “Christian heritage”? :face_with_monocle:. The indigenous tribesmen and women were Christian? Probably not until it was forced on them.

America has been “chosen” by God? Isn’t Christianity synonymous with Jesus and wasn’t he more likely to remain neutral in politics?

Preventing a change to “American culture”? Wasn’t that forced on the original Americans? Or change is OK as long as it’s forced by white men and women?

If anyone out there derives purpose and meaning in their lives from Christianity, my hat is off to those individuals.

My two words for Christian Nationalism?

Mental Illness

1 Like

Oh yes there is.

He wasn’t. He was a libertarian. He voted for Harry Browne in 1996. He was also an agnostic.

Never called him a Christian. I don’t care who he voted for. He was anti cent gov. violently so. Part of the patriot movement that grew after ruby ridge and Waco. You are still stuck in the no true conservative, which is of course par for the course….

He blew up a federal building…. Because he was pissed at the actions of the federal government. Totally not a conservative….