The Marvels (2023 Movie)

Ah another man of culture.

I watch the Critical Drinker as well.

My favorite movie YouTuber.

1 Like

He speaks like a sage and delivers it like a poet. Even when I don’t agree with him he’s hilarious.

Anyway, that’s all I have for this thread. Go away now! :rofl:

1 Like

CThe MCU mirrors the comics in that there is never anything at stake. The core marvel heroes never stay dead and a storyline that does something very different with a marvel character will at some point be reset.

Every year or so there is a gigantic crossover storyline with a tagline telling us the Marvel Universe will never be the same, but they forget to add “for a few months”.

Back in the day I was a huge marvel fan but now not so much.

Growing up in England, comics were very different, weekly anthologies with not a superhero in sight, we had stories about sharks ripping off heads, fascist policemen of the future, kids in a post apocalyptic world smashing in the skulls of the few remaining adults and WW2 heroes calling the Germans Krauts and the Japanese nips while gunning them down in glorious gory fashion.

1 Like

Best British comic in my opinion is Judge Dredd 2000 AD.

1 Like

I started reading 2000ad in 1977 and still read it today.

The fact an American knows of 2000ad warms the cockles of my heart :grinning:.

2 Likes

I just really like Judge Dredd as a character. So I had to read a bit of it to get the backstory ya know?

2 Likes

I may have to check it out, been on a bit of a graphic novel and comic book kick lately.

Finished Sweet Tooth, the Invincible series, and now going through V for Vendetta. With Watch Men on Q.

A good intro to Dredd is The Robot Wars followed by the Cursed Earth, Judge Death and then the Apocalypse War. Those will give you enough to go on to determine if you like it. And if so then you have over 40 years of Old Stoney face.

What I like about the Dreddverse is the stakes are high, when disaster strikes Mega City 1 or the Judges then the consequences ripple on, there is no reboot, no retcon and characters that die stay dead. Plus Dredd ages and changes, one of the best story arcs was when he started questioning the Judge system and his role. This was a plot line that burned slowly over several years and still has an impact on the Dreddverse today.

Also check out the 1995 Stallone movie and the far superior 2012 Dredd starring Karl Urban. The Stallone version is criticized a lot but I think its a pretty good movie. The Alan Silvestri score is amazing as are the costumes and set design. Versace designed the look of the Judge uniforms. The biggest problem with the Stallone movie is not just he takes off the helmet but it was filmed and directed as a violent R movie, then was cut to hell by the studio down to 90 minutes and to get a PG13 rating.

Ha apologies for the waffle, as you can tell I am a diehard fanboy.

2 Likes

Dude thank you for this write up, very helpful. :+1:

You are welcome mate.

I am sorry… the far superior?

No

Just no.

I mean i don’t know which is one is closer to the comic books but just no. The Stallone one was a great 90s action movie. The newer one is a mess.

1 Like

I would say visually Stallones movie is closer to the comics but Urbans Dredd captures the grittiness of living in MC1.

Urban definitely captures the spirit of Dredds character but when Stallone says “I am” pause “the law” is pretty iconic.

Lol we have legal experts, constitution experts, firearms experts etc on thid forum and finally I get to show my expertise :grinning:

3 Likes

The cinematography in the Urban movie was really good though. That was the best part of it.

And it had a surprisingly small budget for a film of its type.

1 Like

It was mostly filmed in South Africa and yes it gave MC1 a grimy gritty feel but not the Cyberpunk aesthetic that is portrayed in the comics.

The mistake they made with Dredd was blowing a significant part of the budget on 3D. IMHO that should have gone on marketing.

But with that said Urbans Dredd is fantastic. For a long time there have been rumors about Rebellion partnering with Netflix for a Mega City 1 show. Doubt it will happen but a man can dream.

1 Like

It’s not getting any better either.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/the-marvels-collapses-at-box-office-with-record-breaking-2nd-weekend-drop-that-s-worse-than-morbius/ar-AA1kbuU3?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=a5e55b1839784575ba51f6381f1c4045&ei=69

I quite liked Morbius but then again I have a soft spot for Marvels 1970s horror line up.

1 Like

I’ve read various individual reviews, which have ranged from really positive to very negative. Nonetheless, for whatever reason it’s been a flop thus far:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/the-marvels-box-office-slide-continues-following-low-thanksgiving-return/ar-AA1kCZJa?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=2593bf1cd118458f879572309fbc07fa&ei=69

More bad news for The Marvels

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/the-marvels-ends-box-office-run-as-lowest-grossing-mcu-movie-in-history/ar-AA1kW0lr?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=bb69551eb6e84833a2141e542cc697b0&ei=47

Avengers: End Game wasn’t that good, and it jumped the shark IMHO.

Infinity War was better.