The future King Charles III may expel Prince Andrew from the Royal Family

Hmm. That would be an interesting development.

I’m assuming the monarch could abdicate their thronehood and responsibilities to the other commonwealth nations and remain sovereign over the UK?

The Queen will not abdicate any of her responsibilities. Its easy for us to talk glibly about such things but this goes to the core of who she is, she is the very definition of duty.

In what way is she unable to perform her duties?

And is one of the reasons I have very little respect for her.

When did she last travel to Australia on official duties and has Charles performed those duties instead?

I would also point out that Catholics make up the biggest religious group in Australia (just under 25%). A Catholic cannot become King or Queen of Australia. This is another reason why we should get rid of the monarchy in Australia in my opinion.

Oh I agree. I’m a fan of the Queen.

I was just wondering if it was possible for her to do that if she chose to.

1 Like

Australia could always invite Franz, Duke of Bavaria to reestablish the House of Stuart, a Catholic line, over Australia.

Windsors were always just a bunch of German usurpers anyhow. :smile:

Been watching the Crown…I used to think negatively about Charles too but having watched the show (and researched the accuracy)…Charles wanted Camilla way before he met DIane and even before Camilla was married…but his family (especially the Queen Mum) disapproved…had Charles sent away on a Navy assignment and pushed the Shands (Camilla’s family) and the Parker Bowles to get her married off to her former boyfriend. The WIndsor family has has a poor record when it came to messing with family members’ loves.

And your entitled to that opinion. I am not going to try and change that.

I am a huge supporter of the monarchy and I want it to continue indefinitely.

I like the royals but I’m not really a monarchist.

I’m a republican (small r) to my very core.

And nothing wrong with that my friend.

Thanks for that. Given Australia’s reluctance to vote yes in referenda it is very likely that we will continue the status quo for as long as the monarchy remains in the UK or what will remain of the UK after Johnson destroys the NHS with his hard Brexit (assuming Johnson remains PM after UK’s general election).

By the way @Nemesis do you subscribe to the theory that there is an irreconcilable split between William and Harry?

I have little respect for any of them,I never have.
Charles wants to scale back the monarchy I’d like to see it all die with the present Queen but I think a scaling back is long overdue.

How popular are they in Australia? I was in Canada when Harry got married and I was surprised how popular they seemed to be over there.

Personally, I’m hoping Elizabeth outlives Charles.

1 Like

Doofus the First has a nice ring to it.

There is a percentage that are enamoured with the royal family predominantly from those who still think of England as the mother country and of course the percentage of poms in Australia is still significant. They still sell newspapers and ratings for tv programmes.

However, I think that if there was a vote whether Australia should scrap the monarchy there would be a majority in favour of becoming a republic.

However, the problem is that there is a split between those who would want a popularly elected president and one where the president is elected by parliament. I personally favour the latter. In order for a referendum to succeed we need a majority of states (at least 4) and an overall majority. The pro-monarchist exploited this difference and the referendum was defeated. Any future referendum will fail for the same reason.

You don’t respect her because she takes her responsibilities and duties seriously? Unbelievable.

Once again your comment is based on nothing; no personal knowledge whatsoever. Her only qualification is that she had two particular parents and was the elder of two sisters and had no brothers.

I believe strongly that my country’s head of state should be an Australian and that a person should not be excluded from becoming my country’s head of state based on their religion.

Thanks for the information.I know there is the old mother country view of Britain and the Royals that some Australians have but considering they do so little for Australia I wondered how they could maintain their popularity.

No one really knows what is going on between William and Harry. I suspect that Meghan has something to do with it.

It is not unusual for a new partner/spouse to upset the dynamics of a family and the Royal Family is probably susceptible to this more than most.