The end of cinderblocks?

Welcome to Florida’s LEGO home: Unskilled laborers build sprawling 96-unit apartment complex using a mallet, glue gun and color-coded instructions in less than TWO MONTHS

- Lakewood Apartments in Palm Springs is the first building in the U.S. to use Renco building blocks
- The project took only 11 unskilled workers who stacked and hammered the bricks into place
- Renco, a a portmanteau of ‘renewable’ and ‘composite,’ is made from recycled materials and is able to withstand hurricanes

Armed with little more than a glue gun, a mallet and a color-coded instruction pamphlet, a team of unskilled laborers constructed a Florida apartment complex in under two months.

Their secret was none other than Renco, a fully recyclable construction material with interlocking blocks that pop together like Legos.

The name is a portmanteau of ‘renewable’ and ‘composite’ and the bricks are a mix of repurposed glass, plastic, calcite dust and resin. . . .

By MACKENZIE TATANANNI FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 10:08 EST, 9 January 2024

Head slap. I never thunk of that.
Makes cinderblocks seem kinda silly.

3 Likes

My grandfather, father and two uncles were master brick block and stone masons. I started learning the trade at 13. I get the concept and it looks like anyone with the intellectual ability to put IKEA together could theoretically build a building with these recycled materials. No leveling, mortar joint spacing or course string lines, no building corners plumb and square. But Florida?? :crazy_face:
Anyone ever consider how resilient or strength capable in say maybe a Cat 4 hurricane? Article claims they’ll withstand a Cat 5 storm.
I know Palm Springs I think I want to check this out.

1 Like

Construction of the future.

Well until we 3D print everything anyway.

Know they know what to print. Renco blocks.

1 Like

This is great. I hate to use a cliche but as long as its affordable this could be a game changer.

2 Likes

Because of the shortage of skilled tradesmen, I think this will be a necessity in the future. People will once again be ordering houses to assemble for themselves. As long as they hold up…

1 Like

I like this a lot more than electric cars.

Phase them in and see how durable they are.

1 Like

If in less than 2 months, 11 unskilled workers can build a 96 unit complex with nothing more than a glu gun, a mallet, and a color-coded instruction pamphlet, my wife and I could build a house in less than 1.

But, let’s talk cost. This would obviously be coming out of pocket.

The cost savings would be realized by construction companies who no longer need to pay for skilled labor working at a slower pace.

2 Likes

Florida coast is a perfect test location.

Finally an occupation, just right for Minecraft big thinkers.

4 Likes

Will take glue-sniffers to a new level.

Probably won’t change things too much in this area of North Carolina. Cinder block is only used for stem walls in most residential construction. Concrete block construction above the stem walls is very rare.

No need to pay 3x the cost of materials in labor when I can do it my unskilled self.

I take it they haven’t really given any details to the cost?

1 Like

But what’s the labor cost making and planing for those blocks?

1 Like

Most of the workers at a construction site are unskilled laborers now. How many people would these bricks replace? It looks to me like they’re replacing the amount of unskilled laborers.

1 Like

3D homes are already being printed on site. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCzS2FZoB-I

Is the home made of ink?

Har, har, har… :wink:

2 Likes