The Department of Education turns 40 this month

Crappy.
We should encourage states to look at Finland, or other countries with much better results and adapt practices that work.

Stop teaching to the test.

So how has the DoE been worth it?

Do you want the Fed to tell the states what to do?
Is the Fed stopping states how to run their schools?

Do you have kids?

The DoE is a very decentralized department.

You failed to answer the question. Care to try again?

The DoE is not the problem.

It is a state issue.

Unlike the systems of most other countries, education in the United States is highly decentralized, and the federal government and Department of Education are not heavily involved in determining curricula or educational standards (with the exception of the No Child Left Behind Act). This has been left to state and local school districts. The quality of educational institutions and their degrees is maintained through an informal private process known as accreditation, over which the Department of Education has no direct public jurisdictional control.

Why do you keep avoiding the question with deflections?

Care to try again?

Anytime the federal government gets involved, [quote=“Guilds, post:42, topic:214183”]
After reading that, and you think it is still a waste of money…that is certainly your prerogative.
[/quote]

Are our public schools better than they were before the DoED was created? And if you think so, is it $2 trillion better?

Don’t wait up too late for a straight answer, it won’t be forthcoming.

That’s ok. The last college football game just ended a few minutes ago and I’m off to bed. It’s almost 2:30 here on the east coast. Sweet dreams. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, you’ll need a break before tomorrows games. have a good rest.

I am answering the question, indirectly.

The DoE has done many positive things for the education system, probably more so in higher education and special needs.

The states have screwed it up, including my own.

The money is spent primarily on Pell Grants. Direct student loans, Title I, and special needs programs.

So yes, the DoE is worth it.

Our public school have gone down over the last 40 years, due to the states, who directly run them.

The DoE is not the cause of the decline in the public school system

Please explain.

Good post.

1 Like

Has that out-of-touch elitist snob DeVos have any idea about public education?

Actually it’s been around since the late 1800s…

Good Lord, that’s actually correct. How late?

I think 1890s…? It was just under a different name back then.

All things I’ve posted about before…

They flooded the south with teachers during reconstruction, that’s actually when it started.

Yeah that conspiracy really doesnt jive