The biggest drivers of income inequality are ..... and what type of fix do you believe would work?

Here is a graph, that shows how the wealth has been distributed.
Prior to the 70’s, when the wealthy got more, the other brackets also got a similar “raise”.

Notice the difference?

As far as the causes, globalization is certainly a factor, as is the reduction of unions, and automation.

A license to braid hair! We live in a free country!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::+1:t4:

The median income in 1975 was $42,000? Not according to this, which was $13,720.

https://www.census.gov/library/publications/1977/demo/p60-105.html#:~:text=As%20indicated%20in%20the%20advance,over%20the%20revised%201974%20median.

I remember talking to my aunt and uncle about their salaries around that time and it was no where near $42,000.

Globalization again. Millions of those factory/union jobs went overseas.

2 Likes

Look at the chart, they put all of it in 2018 numbers.

Agreed. That is part of it. Maybe even 50% of it…but there are other factors as well.

A CEO in the 70’s earned about 50x what the average worker earned.
Today is is 500x more.

Are CEO’s that much more effective today?

This is the logical outcome of capitalism. Capitalism seeks to maximize profits.

When I was in New Delhi in 1994 the Government was trying out a program to break the caste system.

One tactic was big ads on the city buses proclaiming “Untouchable is a curse!”

Don’t know how that worked out.

1 Like

From my link:

As indicated in the advance report on income, the 1975 median family income of $13,720

I get the point the author is trying to make but what happened over the past few decades regarding income inequality is as I stated in the OP.

The companies are. So after paying their employees fair market value of their salaries the profits margins over the years have afforded the companies to pay their CEO’s that much.

The big tech companies do hire they just do the most hiring from India, people don’t seem to give a ■■■■ so there you go. It’s one of the things Biden said he would do was rip up the H1B limitation executive order by Trump.

Hey, if you are OK with the owners, CEO’s and upper management raking in higher salaries due to all these increased profits, and the workers in the companies making much less …go for it…as you seem to think it is OK…can’t fix it…deal with it.

They aren’t making less than they did in the 70s.

Yes, they are.

I am not saying it.

It is math.

No they aren’t.

I wasn’t looking to infer any emotional and/or moral conclusions on the current economic realities. Nor am I saying it’s good. Regarding taxes I don’t oppose higher marginal taxes on upper income earners and I’m perfectly fine with higher capital gains taxes on such earners.

That’s not distributing wealth. That’s a chart about EARNING income.

This is one of the many facets of liberal hypocrisy. On the one hand they cry about income inequality and Americans not getting good paying, but on the other hand have no problem importing millions of people from India and China into these good paying tech jobs.

WHY THE ■■■■ WASN’T THERE A PUSH TO GET MORE BLACK AMERICANS INTO THESE GOOD PAYING JOBS OVER THE PAST 30-40 YEARS???

2 Likes

H1B visas are abused past the point of absurdity at least in software development. I won’t go into again but every major company I worked for in IT abused the rules with no ramifications. Remember a few years ago when Disney got caught for making an American train his H1B replacement to work at a 1/3rd of his wage.

Obviously if he had to train his replacement and American could do the work. I never understood why outsourcing in-sourcing became a partisan issue it should be condemned by all Americans.

1 Like