The biggest drivers of income inequality are ..... and what type of fix do you believe would work?

There are many theories as to why.

What is your take?

I don’t have one. Redistribute yours to me.

And so this gives the governemnt the right to punish those who have done well and reward those who are lazy?

Again how many decades have there been programs from the federal government to “help” the poor? How have the results been? How will redistributing money from the wealthy to them pull them out of the endless cycle? How will it be different than the programs that keep people there now?

Actually I do have one. As long as people earn income, there is going to be “income inequality” because there’s supposed to be.

What the complainers actually want is not income equality, it’s income equity.

2 Likes

Do you agree that the Rand study is accurate?

Taxation is not punishing anyone. If that is your belief, there is no reason to continue this discussion.

To label those that use government benefits for food, shelter, etc…as “lazy”, is inaccurate and ignorant.

I haven’t looked at. Probably.

Of course it is.

1 Like

You don’t have a government without taxes.

Agreed. But it’s still taking.

I would offer having a government is punishment itself.

Sure it is. When you take more and more from the wealthy, and give more and more back to those earing less (aka child tax credit, earned income credit) to the point they are NOT paying taxes but being paid above and beyond – the lower income is being rewarded and the upper income is being punished. That you can’t see that is silly and stupid.

A great majority of them are. Not all, but a majority of them are – look at the big cities where GENERATIONS have been on assistance with nothing to show for it.

Or look at a place where I live where I know the manager of a business. She keeps hiring people – it’s not an easy cusy job, but they start at $12 an hour. She constantly complains that the new hires will work one or two days, then go to lunch and never come back (aka they voluntarily quit the job). Then a few days later she gets a notice that the person has filed an unemployment claim. So then she has to do all the paperwork to show the person wasn’t fire, and they actually quit and are not entitled to unemployment. All while trying to hire yet another new employee.

1 Like

I was wrong, the US ranks quite a bit higher. About #27 out of 82. India ranks 79th, although they have dramatically lowered poverty rates their mobility is lacking. Mea Culpa.

Don’t know why I thought that, must have heard it somewhere and just believed it. Should know better.

1 Like

Maybe they included Indian immigrants.

I don’t know that I can agree with a ranking like that. There’s no accounting for culture or individual effort.

Prove it.

Regarding your unemployment story, an employer gets is a notice to confirm why a person was let go to receive benefits from the state All one does is state they quit voluntarily, and no benefits are awarded.

Got it.

So why?

Does seem so…it’s a requirement.

But problem is they all can’t be master artists.

1 Like

The article is misleading because the wealth is not being redistributed from lower incomes to higher. Consider this analysis from the article:

“Notably, it isn’t just those in the middle who’ve been hit. RAND found that full-time, prime-age workers in the 25th percentile of the U.S. income distribution would be making $61,000 instead of $33,000 had everyone’s earnings from 1975 to 2018 expanded roughly in line with gross domestic product, as they did during the 1950s and ’60s.”

The reason the salaries did not expand in line with GDP was, as I explained in the OP, due to Globalization and technology, not as a result of income redistribution. The thing is that for a certain portion of the middle class, especially in the tech related fields, they did benefit economically. The problem is how Globalization and technology impacted those low skilled jobs, particularly in business with lower type profit margins.

1 Like

Government always looks to find ways to taking from those who produce and give it to those who don’t. This is example from NJ:

Melek Ustunluk is a hair braider based out of Clifton who makes a living off of creating unique designs on her clients’ heads. So when officers came into her Passaic shop four years ago and Ustunluk was arrested by an officer whose hair she had recently braided, she was stunned.

“It was crazy, they treated it as if it was a drug bust or something,” said Ustunluk. “They had a list that said I did bleaching, coloring and curls, but I’m just a braider.”

Currently, the New Jersey State Board of Cosmetology and Hairstyling requires all hairstylists and barbers to be licensed to operate, which means enrolling in beauty school. However, hair braiders say the $17,000 price tag of beauty school does not benefit them.

Schools get in bed with the politicians who then write regulations to benefit those they get in bed with.

3 Likes