The A's are Leaving Oakland for Las Vegas

The Oakland A’s announced that they purchased land to build a new baseball stadium in Las Vegas to play in around three years.

I feel bad for the sports fans in Oakland. They lost the Warriors and Raiders, and now they will lose the A’s.

Would Las Vegas be able to support 3 major sports teams?

Prior concerns to having professional sports in Vegas were related to sports gambling but now that’s allowed everywhere.

The California exodus continues.

4 Likes

MLB owners had unanimously approved the A’s move to Las Vegas.

The lease runs through 2024, but they won’t play in Vegas until 2028. Nice planning.

The fans in Oakland definitely got screwed. I feel sorry for them.

Have they announced whether or not they will still keep the name?

They’ve been the

Philadelphia Athletics
Kansas City Athletics
Oakland Athletics

And now Las Vegas…

It seems Athletic supporters everywhere always get the shaft.

:laughing: In more ways than just one.

I know, it’s nuts.

A lot of folks don’t know that decades ago the SF Giants got the rights to say where the A’s could play.
Once upon a time there was a plan to build a baseball stadium in downtown San Jose which would have been a good deal for the A’s. The Giants put the kibosh on that one. And everyone really dragged their feet on a new stadium in Oakland.

Territorial rights.

Mlb made the Orioes wave some of their territorial rights in order for the nationals to move from montreal to d.c.

Then they entered into an agreement where the Orioles could create a regional sports network that carries the games of both teams (MASN).

This wasn’t good enough for the nationals, who came back wanting more and more money from advertising, despite the fact they entered into the initial agreement in good faith.

After years of arbitration and court battles, and mlb siding with the nationals throughout the process, the Orioles have been forced to pay tens of millions to the nationals.

The actions of mlb and other owners seem determined to hurt certain teams in certain markets.

And finally, it should be mentioned that D.C. had already had not 1, but 2 (TWO) failed franchises at the time of the expos move.

Thanks for the info. i was not aware of that fact.