Tennessee is about to become the first U.S. state to make it a felony to camp on local public property such as parks

I know I know. Unless you have patrols monitoring these enclaves in some draconian fashion. Its impossible right?

Since there is so much willingness to jail them, maybe there can be compromise. Homeless get a cell to sleep in but they’re allowed to leave freely and have possessions.

It might not be so crazy to find political capital for this, if prisons can make more money from the state operating a section of their facility as a an apartment complex.

2 Likes

I have not seen any solution that ever worked even in the shoet term…

When even the mayor of Portland is considering monitoring these new City Camps with the national guard- you know something has gone loco.

And what happens if it is a family camping on public property?

Jail mom and dad and throw the kids in foster care?

Seems to be a solution worse than the problem…

Well the Brits had Tasmania. /jk

Any public solution will also be the first program defunded by the next adminstration…

We have some beautiful state parks in TN and don’t need them trashed up by the homeless.

Let them migrate to a lib city. San Francisco and Pelosi can always use a few more. It’s already messed up there and other lib cities.

Yeah there is zero political will for this. Enter conservative soon saying- Let the Blue cities rot!

2 Likes

Ha! ^^^

1 Like

But very profitable for the privatized for-profit prison industry.

1 Like

Your neighbors are just trying to live.
Sorry they made some parks a little bit ugly.

Easier to access mental health care probably takes care of more of the problem than anything.

Also easy to say hard to do, but not having a roof over there head isn’t the cause of the homeless problem.

I mean- for low/no income folks that doesn’t generally mean therapy or greater social services- it means some prescription meds. That doesn’t really do much in the long term.

Sometimes getting someone on meds can make a big difference.

But you might be right…

One of my neighbors growing up… their son would always go off his medication.

He ended up living on the streets in New Orleans.

He disappeared during Katrina.

Real sad.

I used to work as a therapist in psychiatric units. We’d get homeless all the time. Some of the staff derided them for coming in for “three hots and a cot” as a way to get a break from the streets. (Who would blame them?)

So some of them would come in really sick- delusional and hearing voices and they’d rest in the hospital for a few days, take some antipsychotics- and their symptoms would reduce dramatically.

But then we’d send them back out on the streets with a prescription for these heavy drugs. Almost always they’d ditch the meds because- it was too complicated to get to a place to pick up the meds, they’d forget to take them, because of the side effects, or because the meds dulled their senses and they needed to be on higher alert to threats out in the real world.

So they’d stop their meds, become delusional and end up back with us. Rinse and repeat.

The docs and the hospital made a lot of money from this revolving door tho.

1 Like

Bring back the chain gang and make them pay for their room and board.

JWK

A harsh punishment for not having a roof over one’s head.

1 Like

It is a harsh punishment for wanting the homeless to work for their room and board?