Tennessee is about to become the first U.S. state to make it a felony to camp on local public property such as parks

Tennessee is about to become the first U.S. state to make it a felony to camp on local public property such as parks. It is already a felony in Tennessee to camp on most state-owned property.

The crime is punishable by up to six years in prison

How do you feel about this? Is it a solution?

1 Like

I like it.

Squat in jail if rules are for other â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  not you.

Throwing homeless people in jail is the most expensive way to approach the problem.

4 Likes

Reminds me of poor houses.

1 Like

Was another law required? Why is merely living in a public space now a felony? There are already enough laws to arrest troublemakers.

Honestly I wish the US would throw 50-100 billion at this- build out compact villages in urban areas that would house all the homeless in tiny homes with amenities. Then give people the option of the villages or arrest for sleeping on the street.

Round them up and give them a free ride to San Francisco or New York or Chicago or any other big Lib city. They love homeless people and are chock full of compassion. The citizens in those places will gladly take them PLUS all the illegals that can be rounded up too. Win-win for everyone!!

Another problem solved!!

3 Likes

So much time and money is spent trying to displace the homeless, when local governments could actually, you know, house the homeless.

Not sure if serious.

It’s not going to happen.

There will be calls of unfairness that the homeless get housed while someone working will be struggling to make rent.

And the thing is, it isn’t wrong to think that. I can understand why there would be that opinion.

So… we will go with the more expensive solution because it feels better.

To be honest, the solution is very expensive and complex. Who funds it? Where is new housing built? Who is allowed into this housing and what is the process for getting in? What happens to the people who prefer to live on the streets because they feel safer or are closer to amenities or because they want to engage in criminal activities?

I prefer a nationwide approach where money comes from the US taxpayer to fund systems in all 50 states. It’ll never happen of course but one can dream. But I don’t think piecemeal city by city can work. Hasn’t so far.

1 Like

Dead serious. Biden has already demonstrated that transporting people for free and making them another cities problem and all at tax payer expense is a lawful and practical way to deal with a problem. The big city residents have demonstrated their love for homeless and illegals and the ability and willingness to care for them. Why not?

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: That’s hilarious. A Lib talking about policies and laws being based on feelings instead of cost, practicality and dare I say, the CONSTITUTIONALITY of the policy or law…

Agreed. Tiny houses are a good idea.

As long as the person has an inside place to live, measures against living outside are okay in my opinion. I can’t support punishing someone for camping when a camp is all they have. The public may be offended by the mere sight of a camp, but they have no moral right to enforce that offense without providing a home.

If there isn’t enough room for them in prison make them stay in tents…on state property.

What is hilarious?

We will do the thing that is more expensive… throwing people in jail… because it feels better to do so.

Evin in über liberal Portland there is a push for some to create sanctioned homeless outdoor sites with tents and then force people/arrest people who don’t go. The problem is that given a choice most homeless would prefer to stay with their crew in a place they have become accustomed to usually close in. Homeless camps and tiny house villages would more than likely be placed in farther away locales that are less inviting to a homeless person. It also means official controls and often curfews, rules around noise, music, drug trafficking etc.

So you are left with either creating state run homeless camps or expensive to build tiny home villages that are located further from the city center. Then you have to make it inviting enough that almost all homes would go there - or coerce homeless to live there with threat of arrest for not doing it.

Pretty impossible situation. I’ve moved towards building out camps and tiny home villages on the perimeter of the city and say go or be arrested if you are camping on the sidewalk. But even that comes with a ton of problems.

Like I said- even Portland is considering this. But how? Round up every homeless person and arrest them- for vagrancy? I kinda agree but its soooo not simple.

What happens when crime and neglect turn them into hostile living conditions?

What happens if they become another cabrini green?

1 Like

Yep. It isn’t simple at all.

That is one of the reasons why throwing them in jail is seen as the best option.