Taxing sugary drink would save $1.4 billion a year in healthcare costs

It’s not a slippery slope, the government deciding what you can and can’t eat is already at the bottom.

You’re in a thread about a tax and defending subsidies that are counter productive to that tax.

Won’t be long before banned will start.

I’m doing no such thing. Perhaps try actually reading what I wrote before responding. Thanks.

We might if healthy food were subsidized like the junk food is. Because priorities.

I’d like to see all food subsidies based on actual nutritional content downstream in the food supply chain.

1 Like

That’s true. They seem to go back and forth over the years about certain foods etc.

Love my soda stream. I always have freshly squeezed lime and lemon juice in squirt bottles (think condiment bottles on tables at restaurants) to add to a soda water or cocktails. I’m addicted to bubbles and the soda stream is my most used appliance besides my espresso machine. I just wish I didn’t have to exchange the bottles so much (I do the $15 exchange at bestbuy). Haven’t quite got to the point of buying my own dry ice for DIY refills.

Been feeling a little dehydrated, so I got two bottles in Freezer cooling now. Again…its my favorite. Gonna try the lemon lime juice. I love lemon water.

The notion that healthy food is more expensive than junk food is just plain false. Unless you are talking about prepared foods, in which case, you have nobody but yourself to blame for the expense. This is the part where someone inevitably chimes in that Americans, who on average spend 3.2 hours a day watching television, just don’t have time to cook.

I don’t wonder why we have an obesity problem. It’s really rather simple to understand. Not complicated at all.

I’ve seen ads for those but won’t buy one. Water is much better for you and it’s free.

It is water. You ad carbonation and flavor. I drank a full litre of flavored carbonated water today.

Oxymoron

But the carbonation and flavor doesn’t come free. I’ve seen the prices of the unit and the additions. I really don’t feel it’s worth the money or the cost in nutritional value, especially if what you’re drinking is not sugar free.

Agreed. Your comment about prepared foods, though … I assume you’re talking about things like Blue Apron … you’re really paying for convenience there. If someone takes the time to research it you can cook healthy in a short period of time. One of my favorite meals/snacks is unflavored Greek yogurt and fresh fruit with raw nuts and seeds. Takes no time at all to make that.

No, by prepared foods I mean things like fast food, frozen meals etc.

I’m sure you know that stuff’s even worse. That’s one of the first things people need to eliminate from their diet as much as they can. It generally tastes awful anyway.

I go thru a 15 dollar carbonator about every three months. I can get a 6 pack of flavor bottles for about 15 bucks. My unit cost 100 bucks on Amazon. 3 pack of i litre bottles cost 17 bucks on Amazon.

The litre i drank tonight had fewer than 3grms of sugar.