Taxing sugary drink would save $1.4 billion a year in healthcare costs

Funny that because they tax beer the federals are serious about stopping the illegal importation of untaxed beer, huh?

Tax crossing the border, give federal something they care about to enforce.

I have heard diet soda is bad for you but don’t know why. Do you know? Am curious.

They tell me the sugar substitute causes problems - cancer maybe. I never researched.

Maybe someone else can chime in.

I may try googling it some time.

I’ll just continue to drink it for a while. Someone will inevitably tell me its bad. I’ll ask them why.

Silly is an understatement. Who do they think this tax is going to affect? It’s only going to affect the poor. I don’t drink anything with sugar in it, but if I did, it wouldn’t have anymore effect than the cigarette tax had on me.

If the sugar substitute is bad for you then my crystal light may have the same problem.

Nice to drink something with a little flavor once in a while though. Something besides plain water.

I found that interesting as well. Unless it’s a draconian tax, who does he think this tax will affect? The ordinary person that likes the stuff is just going to eat the tax. Of course that’s what they’re hoping happens.

SNAP should only buy bottled water for people. Why do libs want poor people to have health problems like obesity and diebeetus? This is for their own good.

The sugar police won’t find any at my house.

Tragic boating accident, eh? Stupid ducks… lol

I’m sorry. Did I mention anything about the tax? I was talking about government subsidies. Talk about confused.

Some of Starbucks/Caribou 24oz drinks have more calories than a double whopper with cheese (1k). That’s half your daily caloric intake for a ■■■■■■■ drink. And you know that anyone that downs one of those does not even think about offsetting their food intake to compensate for the insane amount of calories those drinks have. We have a ■■■■■■ up society where I get more ■■■■ for actually being fit and healthy than the fat greasy ■■■■ plowing down 2k calories in one sitting. And I have to subsidize his/her healthcare when his blood pump can’t push syrup through his clogged up aorta? Nah, ■■■■ that noise.

It’s the only soda I drink haven’t been able to go cold turkey with diet mtd from my college days. My dentist told me it’s still bad on the teeth.

There is a whole lot of bad information based on a couple studies. Things that are proven to be carcinogenic don’t stay on grocery shelves and the notion they still cause weight gain through some physiological change is not documented.

All said, we should all just drink water. Diet Coke is a vice of mine as well (with any meal outside the home).

I think is does supposedly. Moderation is a key I hear though. And of course it could all be bs.

The Caribou large iced mocha has about 550 calories, more than 25% of what I’m supposed to have in a day.

Envy and jealousy.

People need to get better educated about food and have access to cheaper healthy options, but I don’t see either of those things happening anytime soon.

The biggest challenge would be teaching people to tailor their diets to their lifestyle.

2k calories per day works a lot better for me than it would for my sister.

Meals high in complex carbohydrates work better for others than it would for me.

etc…

Remember this next time you wanna harp on somebody for making a slippery slope argument.

Yeah, most people have no idea how many calories they burn or take in on an average day.

Ease of access is a challenge too. Where I live there are cheap unhealthy options everywhere, and you don’t even have to get out of your car for them. The only healthy option is going to the supermarket, paying more, and cooking it yourself.