Taxes and wages

Two quotes come to mind. These are pretty much main stream for Leftist these days as far as I can tell.

“I can’t be responsible for every undercapitalized small business in America.” While a testifying before Congress in 1994, after being told her health care plan would bankrupt small businesses and create unemployment.

“We just can’t trust the American people to make those types of choices … Government has to make those choices for people.” In conversation with Rep. Dennis Hastert of Illinois, during a 1993 meeting on healthcare reform.

You arent taxed for purchasing stock. Interest is new money, on top of the income you used to save. You arent being double taxed.

1 Like

You think interest isn’t taxed?

The income from the apartment building I bought last year is taxed at a much lower rate, given that it is held by a pass through corporation and has available a whole slew of deductions that until last year I personally had, then what I make on my labor.

Actually, the tax on my labor went up from losing the myriad of deductions that I could once claim while the taxes on my income from being a passive owner of something went down.

I am taking advantage of it… but it still doesn’t make much sense to me.

Of course they do NOT take into account the erosion of the relative value of the money you get out vs the money you put in. Nope, they tax you as if inflation never happened.

In this way what may seem a gain may be in terms of actual purchasing power a loss … but they tax away. As many investments only tread water with respect to inflation it’s a heck of a con for the feds.

Not sure what your point is. I’m not aware of ANY taxes that take inflation into account as an adjustable tax rate.

If it isn’t an actual gain in value then how is it a gain at all?

Inflation has Ben really low the past decade… it so has interest rates.

That has encouraged money to be put in the market instead of in savings accounts.

That is part of the problem.

It’s a gain in $ value. Purchasing power, like you said depends on inflation. If inflation is negative, should you pay more in taxes?

Going back to the OP; it seems to me that incentivizing higher salaries via the tax code would be a good, so long as an equitable way of doing it could be found.

Any thoughts on how that could be done?

Tie it to the pay gap between the CEO and executive board’s total compensation package… including golden parachute benefits and the lowest paid worker.

Just throwing that out there.

And most investments don’t.

moving the goalposts again I see

Actually, they should not tax gains at all.

That’s not moving the goalposts…they cheat the system in order to pay lower rates and not pay their people a decent wage.

Meanwhile the CEO makes 400 million a year…

You could literally shrink his salary by a 100 grand and pay those cleaners a better salary…

But no he is a victim…that poor CEO…

Not everyone is cut out to run multi million and multi billion dollar companies. That’s why they get the big bucks.

My personal preference is that any us based company pay’s taxes on every dollar earned over seas. Way they get around it is “licensing” the prodect to a foreign company they own/control. To me they should be taxed on the product their own foreign company makes (less taxes paid to the country it was earned in). But it’s not up to me.

No. That is not why they get the big bucks.

Yes I know. But the money you used to buy it has already been taxed. You’re trying to argue that any income should be taxed at income tax rates. I don’t disagree with that completely, but there are limits. If I buy a house for 300k and can now sell it for 500k, if I’m going to be taxed 30%+, i’m not selling the house. It’s simply not going to happen under those circumstances. I’m not Santa Clause.

Same goes for a lot of investments. You have to have limits on that tax.

You are taxed on the gain not the value of the initial investment.

I’m still confused. You arent taxed on the principle. Only the interest or profits that you made. You arent doubled taxed so I’m not seeing what the problem is?