Taxes and wages

You made an untrue statement regarding businesses and salaries. There is absolutely nothing to back up your assertion that companies that pay minimum wage usually deal with limited profit margins. That’s wrong not to mention … that’s not how this works

How is it wrong to say that small businesses like fast food restaurants work with smaller profit margins than say a big company like Apple?

You are sssuming. Don’t

Yeah, Apple, Microsoft, Google, and Amazon and the like would pay no taxes. While Ma and Pa at the the convenience store would pay plenty. I’m sure the folks would be all good with that.

So you are saying the profit margin on a burger is the same as the profit margin of an i-phone?

No i am saying that your conclusive statement has no basis in reality. You need to prove your position.

What are you talking about “conclusive”. I was simply alluding to the fact that profit margins do vary across the business spectrum and “typically” businesses that pay minimum wage (like fast food restaurants) have tighter profit margins. I don’t see how that is some egregious inaccurate generalization?

Are you claiming that profit margins don’t vary from business to business or from product to product? I honestly don’t know what you’re claiming?

So say it’s a company that the average wage is $40 and hour, but they employ their own janitorial staff at minimum wage. Going with your lowest wage, they would get killed in taxes.

No i am not claiming that at all. This all started with you referencing profit margins and their correlation that thse businesses that lay minimum wage usually or generally or typically have a smaller profit margin than those who do not. That is simply not true. The reason why you are wrong is because you think that service industry ie fast food restaurants make some large portion of smal businesses overall. That’s simply not true

Look up small business statics. Look up how many of them there are and what percentage of them are part of the Main Street businesses and how many of those are fast food and service industry. Your conclusions may change.

Sole proprietorships are the dominant type of small business. There is nothing close. They too pay minimum wages. Their profit margins do not correlate with the fact that they do so. You are making assumptions. I already told you that

Look I don’t want to keep going back and forth on this (and I’m sure you don’t either). All I did was make a general comment in response to the OP, which is about having a punitive form of taxation related to employee compensation, which is the context we’re going on. I never made any specific comment about the breakdown of all small businesses in America, what they pay and why.

Really the main point I was simply trying to make is that a businesses profit margins play a role in employee compensation. I’m fully aware that employee compensation is based on other factors as well (education, experience, etc.), it’s not rocket science. And the fact is that a business owner cannot consistently pay employees good salaries without having decent profit margins. And because of that a punitive form of taxation based on employee compensation could potentially harm certain businesses. As far as I’m concerned this punitive form of taxation would impact more small businesses negatively than larger businesses.

I think this is a much better idea:

Flat single rate corporate tax. All income accounted for then:

Any money paid that is taxed on the personal level deducted. (adjusted income)
single deduction of 20% of adjusted income (net income)

net income taxed at same rate for all companies.

company a pays lower wages than company b. Company b would therefore pay less tax like the op wants. :smiley: works for me and much more simple.

This whole proposal sounds like a union busting tactic. Companies would just hire contractors for the menial work, as in all manual labor.

Let’s go for a sales tax and capital gains. Offset low income earners with a tax credit to alleviate the regressive.

I would support a higher capital gains tax for an income tax cut.

I never understood why my unearned income is taxed at a lower rate than the income obtained by selling my labor.

1 Like

The mindset is that it has already been taxed, so they’re giving you a break in the future with that money. That said, as long as both are relatively low, it wouldn’t really matter if they were both the same.

If you purchase an asset and it increases in value, the increase has not already been taxed.

1 Like

I eat like 4 iPhone a week…

Yes they would…too bad…pay the guy a decent wage and get the lower rate…odds are though they used a loophole and went offshore so they pay only 12% via a pass through…

So why would I feel bad for a company like that already cheating the system…those poor victims…god that’s such a tired line you guys always use…every argument is surrounded by the idea you folks are victims…

No, but it’s no different than money you made that was taxed. You’re purchasing the asset with that money that was taxed. Do you want to encourage people to do that or not? It’s really not much different than interest.

I have no idea what you’re trying to say.