Tax Preparer Refuses to Serve Lesbian Couple

No I don’t think I would, but that would be because of his record of not paying his consultants and contractors.

Would you let him in your house? I wouldn’t. I might walk out to the road, armed of course. If I had to bring the trash can in anyway…

Let Trump into my house? Sure, why not?

I don’t think he would be a problem to let him into my house, I just think he is unqualified to be president.

I don’t let horrible human beings in my house.

And I would be sad if one of my dogs bit him.

And died.

Haha! Good point about the dogs.

Yeah I suppose I would have to put them downstairs. :rofl:

You mean the dogs, right? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yes. Yes I do.

1 Like

Reading over some of the replies, I noticed that the ones who support the Tax preparer, seem to argue that “it’s their business, they should choose who they work with” and some of them even go as far as to argue that public accommodation laws need to be repealed.

I would argue that these comments are incredibly naive and lacks the fundamental understanding on why we passed the 1964 Civil Rights Act. We passed these laws in the first to place to protect minority groups and women from discrimination. Plain and simple. Before the act was passed, we had segregated everything. Business owners could reject customers and potentially employees pure based on things they could not change.

Business owners have a right to partake in the clients they want, but at the same time, people have the right to live in a FREE land and be able to obtain goods and services. Permitting discrimination only makes people’s lives harder and suppresses their ability to advance. In other words, in pre-1964 America, the system rigged itself against people of color, immigrants, and women. Black people literally had to carry about Victor Green’s book “Green Book” in order to survive living and traveling in the South. I would hate to see LGBTQ folks carrying around Rainbow books, just so they could get goods and services.

Arguing the repealing of said laws, only opens the door to permitting discrimination. The invisible hand does not work. It has been a provably false. You can argue, “well we have changed” all you want, but the REASON for the change was due to the laws being implemented.

The good thing about civil rights act, is that it carves out exceptions: bars, non-private organizations, and private clubs. So if you’re uncomfortable serving certain kinds of people, go into those areas of business. But if you open up the doors to the public, you have to serve the public. That means everybody has to be served.

Wrong. LBJ told us very clearly why the law was passed.

The naivety is yours.

I disagree with a couple of statements:

#1 You say that the reason for the change was because of the laws, IMHO that can be part of it but the fundamental reason is that societal change has been driven by mobility. On a larger, population level scale we are less isolated to small communities than we were 4 generations ago.

#2 Private clubs are not exempt from Public Accommodation laws. You can have a private, for profit “private club” and your business is still subject to PA laws. There are exemptions for private, non-profit organizations and there are some very specific metrics used in determining of said organizations are free from PA law application. Do you think COSTO, SAM’s Club, or BJ’s Warehouse outlets are exempt fro PA laws? The answer is that even though they are a “private club”, they are a for profit business. Another metric is that you can’t hid behind “private club” as a means to evade PA laws.

…^^^^