Stop whining and buy a Tesla

ICE owners are just a loose belt or metal shaving away from the sheriff and repo man. I wouldn’t be so smug.

About 43% of Americans have gone into debt because of car trouble, and 28% of drivers would not be able to make a $500 car repair without going into debt, a July 2020 LendingTree survey found. See how the cost of car repairs affects drivers in our analysis below

1 Like

Car repairs wont go away with ev. In some cases it will increase when talking about parts like batteries or electrical motors. But wear abd tear will happen tires need replaced bearings wear out.

1 Like

I attached an article that points to a safety issue with EVs. So ? Your point about gasoline and diesel-powered internal combustion driven vehicles is valid. Sweet Jesus, I paid a dealer $200.00 to change the synth oil, rotate the tires and do an all-around inspection on my F-150. That truck is powered by a twin turbo 2.7L V-6 that makes about 22 mpg and runs on 87 octane! I’ve looked at the F-150 Lightning, but I can’t afford a debt now, I’m retired fer crissakes. I get almost 650-700 miles out of a tank of fuel, not too bad for a 1/2 Ton Pickup doncha think?

2 Likes

Repairs are significantly reduced, and most of them–like battery replacement and tire wear–can be forecasted, budgeted for, and easily diagnosed.

ICE cars are so fragile and opaque that finding a “good” mechanic with detective skills is not an insignificant factor in the owner’s financial security. Just finding out why there’s a rogue fluid in another fluid is already a 3 digit job of hope, prayer, and gambling for most car owners.

I rather look for a problem with an combustiion engine than chase a short in an electrical system.
I really wish that honesty would be portrayed more with those that have an ev. They have their pros and also cons.

1 Like

Korean trade ministry officials met with Hyundai Motor, LG Energy Solution Ltd., Samsung SDI Co. and SK On Co. to listen to their “concerns and difficulties” about the measures in the US’s tax and energy bill, the ministry said in a statement Thursday. Chief among these are the need to assemble EVs in North America and to quickly end a reliance on China for the battery supply chain in order for the vehicles to qualify for a maximum $7,500 tax credit.

The firms are waiting for more details on the US rules and some are already seeking to diversify suppliers outside China, according to people at the four big Korean cell and materials makers, who asked not be named because of the sensitivity of the issue.

Biden policies are positioning us to fix this. Democrats aren’t content to cede a whole industry to the Chinese just because we’re a step behind.

Wrong diagnosis. Many Americans are simply abusing credit. A car is, for such folks, one more shrimp on the barbecue of personal debt. It isn’t the cause of debt, just a symptom of debt addiction.

But for the most part someone’s old junker causes far less debt than an expensive new EV does.

4 Likes

An early 2010s car is already an old junker today.

We’re at the point where cash junkers are overlapping with modern, over-engineered, tightly-packaged garbage that’s difficult to service. It will put the owner in debt the first time it goes into the shop because some random component can’t be reached without a 9 hour job. That’s after waiting a week for a bootleg part.

Never buy new. Old junkers can last a looooong time with care. But even the best new EV is on borrowed time because of the battery replacement issue. There will be no proverbial '57 Chevys among EVs.

3 Likes

Why do you think chasing it would be any different? I fact there is probably way lesss to chase then on newer ICE cars with all the chips in them.

1 Like

Never even buy new-ish? :wink:

Two West Texas ranchers were at the Waffle House for coffee and pie when they started bragging about their spreads.

“I just got back from driving the fence line in my old truck. Been driving for most of three days.” one informed.

“I once had a truck like that.” the other countered.

All i have to compare what an ev electrical system would be like is my travel trailer camper. I have had a couple instances where i had elecrrical system fail and i had to ttrack it back to either a tripped breaker or a bad cell in a battery.

OK but how is that different then a ICE vehicle.

Not 100% sure but the laptop they hook up to the car would immediately tell you where the fault for everything. There could be something it can’t detect but it could narrow it down to a component.

Yes that, a diagnostic computer, would most likely make it much easier. I dont know maybe it would be easier.

I’ll take something from the late 70s over an EV. When they introduce about 20X more charging stations, and it only takes me 5-10 minutes for a close to full charge, then I’ll consider buying one.

Right now gas stations are everywhere. I never even have to wait behind a single car. Convenience and my time is very important to me.

It depends on the vehicle. My Tacoma PU will be twelve years old in October and has NEVER had a mechanical problem. I did replace the factory battery (which under performed from day one) two years ago for about $150, but I would now be looking at a $10,000 battery replacement in the next year or so if it was an EV. Sure, that expense can be planned for if you are a forward thinking person and have the extra money and discipline to put it aside for that contingency, but how many people actually do that? If I was suddenly faced with a $10,000 repair on my truck, I would seriously have to consider replacing it altogether because it can be financed in easy monthly payments. Perhaps battery replacement loans will become as common as car loans, but for the moment, it’s a one-time payment.

1 Like

I disagree emphatically.

The “never buy new” mantra is questionable and highly variable, but you are absolutely right, there will never be any '57 Chevys among EVs. The fact is, there have been almost no classic cars since about 1971. But blame it on wind tunnel styling, not mechanical/electronic systems.

That’s for sure. I used to do all my mechanical work unless it required specialized tools, but since about 2000 the only thing under the hood that I recognize is the battery. Now, on many cars, you can’t even see the battery.

By the 90s nearly everything was either a wedgie bean or a jelly bean. It was so bad that one day I saw a low mileage Nova SS and I thought it was one fine looking car. Then I realized it was a Nova.

Found out the car was still owned by the buyer, it was garaged and mainly driven to keep it in good shape. Her first words were, when she saw me admiring it, was it’s not for sale.