Stocks and oil in free fall

Yeah I’m loving this market, but I think we are well off the bottom TBH.

Lower demand has been driving the price down since early/mid Feb due to the outbreak.

The Russian/Opec alliance fell apart over production cuts to match the decline in demand and when it fell apart a rapid drop was the result.

Oil prices are always demand driven.

And you have no clue when, or even if, the alliance will be reformed, or when the outbreak will stop having an impact on demand.

current oil future price 27.95
current dow futures -1200
current yield on the 10 year bond .521
current yield on the 30 year .991

Never can time the bottom but if one has a steady job and can afford it buy on the way down I made off like a bandit the last time this panic happened. When this stupid virus starts to settle down travel stocks should be attractive as they have been pummeled. I wouldn’t get into them now, but I would imagine those stocks will shoot up like a rocket whenever this panic subsides.

I would like to see Google stock touch under 1k again and Apple around $200 then I am buying :slight_smile: Carnival Cruise lines is on my radar once this is over, that stock has been slammed like we are in 2007.

It doesn’t matter when the alliance is reformed, when demand increases the price will too.

There’s no reason to believe this is going to last more than 2-4 months.

I am more of a total stock market MF/Index kind of investor; I think it will stabilize at the bottom, with the chance of a real crash. So I am sitting and waiting :blush:

the market was oversupplied to begin with before the outbreak
now we have 2M or so barrels a day more coming to market .
if this lasts 4 months there wot be many US oil producers left

Four months of producing shale oil at a loss, no biggie.

i wont be surprised to see exxon opne tomorrow at prices last been in 2004 or so (under $40 a share)

No it wasn’t or prices would have been falling before the outbreak began.

It hurts Russia and SA more than it does most economies, I am not sure how long they can hold without figuring something out around 50% of Russia’s economy is oil. I would imagine Saudi Arabia is way more than that.

The per capita GDP in SA is pretty insane, they can get along just fine for a long time with lower oil prices.

Russia’s population is much larger and the country is over six times the size of SA and their economy is almost totally dependent on petroleum as well. They cannot survive long with low oil prices.

Unless Russia has a another motive aimed at long term changes to the market.

Yep I read that from another source, Russia will suffer more from this than us. Right now the reaction to the coronavirus is wrecking everything. We have seen lower oil than this if I recall a few years ago without this pandemonium. 8% of our economy is oil 50% for Russia.

the ruble is plunging. down 7% last i checked

we may be on the brink on a 1987 type market crash

Never know but we have already seen a huge pullback from all time highs. Everyone regardless of political ideology has felt the market was overbought for a long time now with valuations.

Let’s hope there is not another Great Recession it would be much worse this time since the fed has used all their ammo on the last one. I think we will see negative interest rates in the not so distant future like they have been doing in Japan and Germany.

If they could get a handle on the coronavirus the market would recover quiet a bit of lost ground. We’re already over the normal 10% market correction and the job numbers and other economic indicators are good it’s just this ■■■■■■■ virus. Oil has been this low just four years ago. But four years ago at the same time they didn’t quarantine a portion of Italy with 16 million people not allowing them to leave the city because of a fast spreading Chinese virus.

FTSE currently down 8.77% and CAC down 4.80%.

but libs can hope

1 Like

how will they get Trump reelected if they keep this up?