Stand Your Ground Laws

One HUGE difference.

This was on camera.

Depends on the situation.

If your attacker is Connor McGregor, can you reasonably expect him to back off? Or do you think he might be foolish enough to try a front kick to dislodge the weapon from your hand (or worse)?

Not that I agree with what went on here (the maroon in question should have simply taken down the plate number and called police, who would have issued the parking violator in question a very expensive ticket given there is video footage showing what happened), but I’m not going to find out…I’m clearly not as skilled as McGregor is.

No, it sounds like they need to re-interpret stand your ground laws. This guy initiated a confrontation and when it became clear he was on the losing end of the altercation he initiated, he used his gun. Involuntary manslaughter clear and simple.

1 Like

The guy who shot was the one doing the complaining. He initiated a confrontation. He got owned. He drew a gun. He killed someone.

1. Well…heck. I misread it. I thought the guy doing the complaining was the one who got shot. Have to read slower. :wink:

2. Yes

3. What does “He got owned” even mean? Is that like “he got pwned?” Stupid slang.

4. Yes.

5. I am aware of that.

Now that I have my facts straight (thanks for correction) about who killed who, I’ve got to wonder if the guy has a few screws loose. He must have, to spend so much time haunting that parking lot to see if someone is parking in a handicap spot. So that would explain why he was so quick on the trigger.

Nevertheless, I still say that if you’ve got time to draw your weapon, you’ve got time to say back off.

If the guy doesn’t immediately back off with his arms raised, saying, Hey, pal, chill out, which is what 99% of people would do, but rather “tenses” to move forward, then I could see firing.

The guy he pulled the gun on did not have time to even think " Oh ■■■■■■ " before he was shot. And as to your facts, that makes me wonder if (1) he is either loony tunes and should not own a firearm, or (2) he does this sort of thing in order to be given an excuse to shoot someone. If (2) then he committed premeditated murder.

Because only a fool pulls his gun on someone unless he has decided to use it.
What if you pull your gun on someone to scare him and he pulls a gun on you and shoots you?
Many opinions on self defense are formed from watching too much TV and movies. I believe yours are.

Your inability to think beyond the initial actions of this event does not make you right.

Right on the first part; wrong on the second. The stand your ground law does not allow you to initiate an incident (which the shooter did by accosting the man’s wife) and then claim self defense, or to use deadly force once the threat has abated (which occurred at the moment the gun was pulled.)

She stated what he said.

Ok, if you say so.

She claims what he said.

Not quite. Only a fool pulls his gun on someone unless he is willing to use it. The pulled gun in this case made the angry husband back off. There was no need for the downed man to shoot at that moment, yet he had plenty of time to shoot if the husband shifted his momentum back toward him.

That’s all the information we have. This is a discussion forum, not a courtroom.

Over ruled. What does the law say about going from verbal to physical?

I have to disagree. Guns are for shooting, not for brandishing. Brandishing a gun might get you killed. Firing one might save your life.

If I call you a ■■■■■■■ ■■■■■■■ to your face and you punch me in the nose, who initiated it? The man with the gun initiated the incident, the husband introduced physical violence to which the initiator responded to with deadly violence. But there is no getting around who started it … the man who fired the gun. It’s almost like he was out looking for trouble just so he could use his gun.

Guns are used to stop crime without being fired orders of magnitude more often than when they are fired. Being confronted with deadly force is a great incentive for the vast majority of people to stop bad behavior.

Do you advocate that cops should shoot every time they pull their gun on a suspect?

Law enforcement operates under a completely different set of guidelines than a citizen exercising self defense.
Ant self defense expert will tell you the same thing- don’t produce a gun unless you have decided now is the time to use it.

Shouldn’t that also be the standard for law enforcement?