Speaking of Bald Eagles, I want to give a special early Father's Day shout out to M-15 of the SWFL nest in Fort Myers

Harriet the female eagle disappeared a month ago and is presumed deceased.

By all rights, both eaglets likely should have died of starvation.

Instead, here is a picture of them two weeks ago.

And now they are rapidly approaching fledging.

M-15 truly stepped up to the plate as a dad. He has brought plenty of food, fed the chicks and defended them from dangers such as Great Horned Owls and other eagles, despite the fact that as a male, he is significantly smaller than a female eagle.

If he gets both these chicks fledged, he definitely deserves Father of the Year. :smile:

And it looks like his devotion to duty has attracted some attention. A young female designated R23-3 has been following him and displaying courtship behavior. :smile:

6 Likes

Well done, bird

:us:

1 Like

That’s impressive as hell.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a better “feel good” post after reading about the lousy situation in the other thread. Thank you for such impeccable timing.

Harriet missing was truly sad. But you’re correct M-15 is doing a fantastic job despite unfavorable odds.

Good post, Safiel.

UPDATE:

E21 (Older chick) branched on March 17.

E22 branched on March 21.

E-21 could fledge at anytime now.

And again, kudos to M-15 for getting them to this point.

E21 fledged at 7:28 am, with an impressively lengthy fledge flight.

He/she returned to the nest at 7:58 am.

Ironically, E21 was knocked from the nest to a lower branch at 5:00 am by the same Great Horned Owl who has been tormenting the eagles since forever. :smile: That may have helped prompt this flight. :smile:

Congratulations to E21 and congratulations for daddy on getting 1 of 2 to this point. Hopefully E22 will take the plunge in 2 or 3 days.

2 Likes

E22 fledged at 9:24 am this morning.

As with E21, it was in the aftermath of a double attack by that ole nasty Great Horned Owl. Hit him once, knocking him out of the nest and then a second time, knocking him to the lower branches. He spent the morning and afternoon away from the nest before returning a little while ago.

It is official. M15 is Father of the Year and perhaps Father of All Time. :smile:

And glad to see that both of Harriet’s final brood made it to fledging. Harriet may be gone, but her legacy lives on in the many broods she raised.

And I think this nest will be busy next year as M15 has plenty of suitors. :smile:

1 Like

I remember watching the Decorah, Iowa eagles years ago when I would stop over at my folks. My mom would keep the feed up basically all day… incredible to watch.

My dad had a bald eagle nest on his hunting land several years ago as well. The game commission set up a camera and we got some pretty awesome shots.

UPDATE:

The Bald Eagles are back in SW Florida.

M15 is back after his incredible performance last nesting season.

And he has a new partner, F23.

They are fixing up the nest so the SWFL Eagle Cams will be busy this year.