Shutdown: How long could you last?

We are controlling our borders. The Trump Shutdown is what is damaging our border control.

If Trump cared about border security we would be paying the TSA, the Coast Guard, and Customs and Border Protection.

1 Like

That’s a nonstarter since the work of border patrol is still getting done.

I too read bumperstickers but don’t consider them a useful source of wisdom.

1 Like

Good luck with retention, morale, and future recruitment after making them work while not being paid. How much longer do you think they can keep this up? It’s only been a month so far, but what will things look like after 2 months of not being paid? 6?

Contact your congressman and get them paid. Tell them to quit holding up funding for border security and pay for federal employees.

Sweet. Then keep the government shut down indefinitely. All the work is being done anyway.

Mitch McConnell doesn’t care about federal employees being paid.

The house has passed a bill already to pay everyone affected… Please call your SENATORS and tell them to demand a vote.

What the hack are you even talking about?

If the alternative to paying extra on your mortgage is maxing out your 401k or IRA contributions or even putting it in an individual brokerage account, it certainly isn’t almost always worth it outside of the psychological benefit.

Let’s say you have a 4% mortgage with $100,000 remaining with a $1000 monthly payment, and you have an extra $100 in your monthly budget. I’ll ignore tax implications for simplicity.

If you apply that extra $100 to your mortgage, you will pay the mortgage off in 109 months.

If you apply that $100 to an S&P index making 7% annually, you’ll pay off the mortgage in 122 months, but you’ll have $17,500 in your brokerage account.

If you take that $1,100 in the first example and invest it in the same S&P fund over the 13 months where you have no mortgage payment, you wind up with $14,800 at the 123 month period.

Now let’s assume it’s 20 years before you’ll touch that account. The account will double in value twice during that period at 7% (don’t even need Excel for this one - rule of 72 is the bomb, yo). So you’ll have $70k in example 1 and $59,200 in example 2.

So in this very typical situation, you lose $2,700 by paying the mortgage early as opposed to investing in the alternative asset at the close of the mortgage. The gap only widens the younger you are.

Max your 401k and IRA before paying down a low rate mortgage, people!

As I said earlier. Game of chicken. Good luck!

In a couple of weeks, the frontline TSA workers will have gone six weeks without pay. Most are paid around $16/hour… How many do you think will continue to work without pay when there are plenty of jobs out there? What about in another 4 weeks? Federal law requires are passengers on commercial flights to be screened before an aircraft departs. This would effectively shut down commercial air transport in the US. If a TSA screener leaves and takes another job, do you think they will come back?

I hate the way you phrase it that way. This is not a game of chicken. A million+ Americans are being affected by this Shutdown. This is a man made disaster for those affected. We should not be using their lives as a negotiating strategy. It’s vulgar what the Republicans are doing right now. The Democrat position is that these Americans NEED to be paid before any negotiation can take place. American lives should not be used to force policy concessions.

Two years or until Pelosi is removed from the negotiation.

Either way doesn’t matter to me.

:children_crossing:

The longer it lasts, the worse it is for Trump.

Meh, he might lose two or three approval points.

Rasmussen’s daily tracking poll has Trump at a Presidential Approval Index rating of -17.

And? I doubt it will go much lower over this.

The more people are affected by this shutdown the further Trump’s popularity is going to go down. All it will take is one airplane to crash because inspections aren’t being performed and people will be livid.

Dude couldn’t even sell bottled water correctly.

1 Like