Should Trump appoint a non-white male to the Supreme Court?

Rick Santorum asked President Trump to put Thomas Hardiman on his list of Supreme Court Judges and he did. He narrowed them down to two, Gorsuch and Hardiman, and after meeting with both, he picked Gorsuch. I’m thinking he will pick Thomas Hardiman.

Trump’s sister was also pushing Hardiman. She may still be.

Hardiman is in strong contention I believe. He is 52, older than what some of Trump’s handlers would prefer, but not too old.

Trump should select a “best candidate” based on their successful legal experience in a position similar to that of the SC.

There should not be any political “litmus tests”, no attempts to render “affirmative action”.

Of course in my flights of fancy I live in a perfect world.

:wink:

Why? Libs would still bitch! As a lib queen once said, “what difference does it make”?

He can.

And not qualified by any stretch of the imagination. Her highest achievement was as a local judge.

yeah. you want elites. I want regular people.

Race is not a criteria for SC. Don’t be a fool.

It would be seen for what it is.

I want a qualified, conservative, originalist who can be confirmed. Judge Jeanine would be laughed out of the building.

1 Like

LBJ disagreed.

to each his own. we have plenty of elites. anyone can learn the job. it’s not rocket science.

and furthermore… look at the supposedly qualified justices on the left. Sotomayor actually quoted Trump and even left out the part of the quote that begins with the word “until”, completely changing the meaning of Trump’s words. If THAT is what you get out of a “qualified” justice, I’ll take Joe the Plumber over Sotamayer…

1 Like

I agree with all of that, but I also recognize there’s zero chance of getting “common man” or “common woman” through the confirmation process.

Qualified and honest are not mutually inclusive.

No.

Joe Sixpack can no more do a Justices job than he could do my job. Hell, there are a lot of licensed attorneys that are not qualified to be on the bench. Three Trump nominees got shot down on that very point.

A Federal Judge must have command of all aspects of both Federal law and state law, since many cases come up to federal courts on diversity jurisdiction and thus must be decided under relevant State law. Judges must have command of such diverse areas of law as Intellectual Property, tax law, bankruptcy law and criminal law.

No, Joe SixPack cannot do it. Joe SixPack could not begin to do it.

The notion of the equality of human beings is just plain stupid.

While humans are equal before the law, they are clearly unequal otherwise. Very few humans have the necessary legal mind that would qualify them to be a Justice.

I look first at all for somebody who either attended a first or second tier college or law school and did well. Landing a clerkship with a prominent Court of Appeals Judge or Supreme Court Justice is a good sign. A varied career path, with several different types of service is good. For example, a mix of several types of service such as private practice, public prosecutor, public defender, academia, corporate counsel, municipal counsel, etc.

I demand rigorous standards for the federal bench and I opposed several Trump nominees and several Obama nominees as I felt they fell short.

By the way, common man is not a complimentary term. Not a pejorative either, but not a complimentary term.

I didn’t get a Bachelor degree and two Masters degrees with the goal of being “common.” :slight_smile:

I was looking to do much better and I feel I have succeeded.

If people feel that is “elitism” so be it.

2 Likes

Trump should peruse this forum for additional candidates. There are several conservatives uneducated in the law who seem to think they’ve got what it takes.

You probably don’t see the irony of you (who stands by Trump on everything) using the word queen.