Should the traditional standards be abolished so that race can become the most important qualification an individual has to offer?

That type of privilege is not based on race.

By dropping standardized test score requirements are not the schools themselves likely anticipating what the SCOTUS is going to do, and as such finding a different way to continue with their agenda for racial equity over student efficacy?

Equity demands an end to discrimination based on ability or merit.

Planes may fall from the skies and nuclear power plants may meltdown, but that is a small price to pay to achieve true equity.

4 Likes

No mention of “equity” but to your point about lowering standards, 50 years ago this would have been laughable.

I get the “changing military” routine and the lack of enlistment but fer crissakes, lard asses are useless on the battlefield!

1 Like

Of the wealthy, by the wealthy and for the wealthy.

The military is just getting ■■■■■■■ desperate at this point. Pretty soon, if you have a pulse, they will slap a uniform on you.

They can be in supply or mess cooks, nothing requiring a security clearance. :joy:

It’s not unusual in wartime. US Army standards dropped dramatically during WWII, Korea, and the later part of Vietnam.

But it is weird to see this have to be done during peacetime. That’s honestly scary. As a society, we simply aren’t really prepared to fight another extended war. Especially if it’s against a near peer enemy like China.

We’ve gotten too soft.

1 Like

What worries me is that they are dropping the standards so dramatically during peacetime.

In an active big war, standards are dropped out of necessity. Because you need more men (and women) to fill every role.

But this is peacetime. Of course there are small operations going on all over the world but nothing the size of Iraq 2 or Afghanistan.

Historically, this means that the standards for enlistment would be raised dramatically.

But considering that every branch is bleeding long timers like crazy (the articles are genuinely terrifying; all of that NCO combat experience the US Army and Marine Corps had thanks to Iraq 2 and Afghanistan is basically gone now) combined with extremely low enlistment… this is becoming a disaster.

They’ll basically have to rebuild the branches from scratch.

1 Like

I hate to even whisper it.

But if the military keeps going down the path it is on and enlistment’s continue to drop, the ugly specter of conscription is eventually going to raise its head out of absolute necessity.

1 Like

Where the push is happening, it’s actually because little if any correlation between standardized test results and educational achievement actually exists.

If a metric is useless for predicting future performance…why keep it?

You know what the biggest driving factor towards high SAT scores is?

Money.

If your parents can provide extensive SAT training courses, you’ll probably do well on SATs.

But that doesn’t mean you’ve actually learned anything or have a propensity for high achievement.

1 Like

I’m extremely anti-conscription but I agree. I just don’t see how we avoid it in the next ten years or so.

They’ve got to figure something out. Some kind of way to attract young Gen Z and the generation right after them.

Getting back to the focus being on the mission first and foremost might help some. No more of the social experimenting. That’s part of the reason so many long timers ended their enlistments early instead of doing their 20 years. That’s a ton of lost practical combat experience that could have been passed on to the next generation of soldiers.

Ice cube talked about that in one of his albums. Teaching people how to pass a test instead of actually educating them.

peacetime conscription is not a good thing. would not go over well with those of draft age.

hell if i was draft eligible i would refuse induction if drafted.

its a really insipid way to get armed forces during peacetime.

during a war i understand but peacetime.

hell no.

Allan

Equity demands that since only straight cis-males have been drafted in the past, any draft now should target women and LGBTQ. That would be affirmative action.

Now you’re just making stuff up.

True

Problem with getting them then, all you are doing is conscripting bullet catchers. Very little training.

For the record I am against both.

1 Like

I guess they figure the lipstick brigade will fight wars with drones from a comfy location.

My unsupported suspicion of why graduates from the big Ivy League schools do so,well statistically is because their parents wealth and position that got them into those schools also got them their position in that big firm or corporation when they graduated.

1 Like

What is your source?