Should the traditional standards be abolished so that race can become the most important qualification an individual has to offer?

Today, at least two-thirds of higher education institutions, including Harvard and Stanford, don’t require the SAT for admission. The American Bar Association recently announced it will drop the LSAT as an admissions requirement for law school. And now, some are calling for the prestigious MCAT to be scrapped as the gold standard for medical school admissions — all in the name of racial equity.

This does seem to be the direction the Left is pushing.

1 Like

I never took the SAT or ACT before I went to college either. Columbia College only cared about money and Missouri S&T only cared about my wounded warrior stature.

3 Likes

I believe it already has.

Where I took my accounting courses, they allowed in anyone who had passed two years of college, including community colleges. There was a huge first semester class, of which two thirds or more did/could not continue. That seems as good a way to handle entries as any. I should also mention that graduates interviewed with the same companies, firms and banks that anyone from Harvard would. Then it’s up to you (and your well placed relatives, if any).
Now if a school has open admissions and gives everybody passing equity grades, then I can’t see that a degree there would be worth much. In any case, eventually they are going to have a job to do. It will have done no one a favor to place them in a job they can’t perform.

Yeah…the military is changing their admission requirements too applying similar standards. :upside_down_face:

The author of this opinion piece doesn’t provide proof of this statement.

sure… let everyone (especially those who have no chance of passing the required courses) enroll and take out hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loans that they will never be able to repay…

2 Likes

Back in the early 1970’s I went to school with a guy who was a average student. His SAT’s and ACT’s were also average. And when he announced that he had been accepted at Stanford a lot of us were really surprised. Then we found out that both of his parents were Standford grads, both doctors and both major givers to the Standford Alum Association. Questions answered.

1 Like

Legacy and money…

Or the reverse of that statement. Happy New Year.

Have to wonder how many qualified, but unconnected, students don’t get accepted to the Ivy League each year.

1 Like

Happy New Year to you and yours too.

A few years back there was a article about a girl here in Austin. The daughter of a very rich family in a very rich school district. However she was not so smart as to make the top 10% of her class which automatically gets you accepted to the University of Texas. So her family moved out of their $1M house to a low middle class neighborhood in San Antonio so she could be in the top 10%.

Once again the advantages of wealth allow rich folks to game the system.

My daughter maxed out her ACT and SAT. She applied to three Ivy League schools (Penn, Columbia and Princeton) and three non-Ivys. She ultimately was accepted to all six schools, despite her unfavored race (Asian). She damn near HAD to max out those tests to overcome the anti-Asian selection bias at some Ivys. She ultimately attended the University of Pennsylvania for undergraduate and graduate. She maxed out her GRE, again, almost a necessity to overcome the anti-Asian bias.

Hopefully the Supreme Court will destroy affirmative action very soon.

4 Likes

It’s not gaming the system. It is the system.

3 Likes

No they gamed it. The system they gamed was an early attempt at equity. Instead of it being the top 10% of the state’s graduates, it was the top 10% of each district. That created the opportunity for those wealthy enough to temporarily move to a low performing district to game the system. The district became the protected identity group.

They built the system.

It wasn’t an accident.

The system was built to try and make the performance of school districts look better. It made the arbitrary measure of the top 10% of each district guaranteed admission, rather than individual academic achievement. That allowed the wealthy parents to shop for a district where their average child could achieve top 10% status. Your average parent can’t afford to district shop.

…while also ensuring that the existing status quo of privilege is maintained.

Yes, I know. So did they, when they wrote the laws.