Should federal income tax returns be public?

I dunno. Maybe. However then your neighbors might have a hobby of checking everyones for cheating

Would the US constitution prevent it.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Tax returns are a persons private papers that are required under penalty of law to be filed with the government. They should only be release or used by anyone other than the IRS with a warrant signed by a judge.

That’s a reach. Nice try.

How is it a reach? You are being required by the government to reveal personal and PRIVATE information under penalty of the law.

You’re papers should be secure with that agency and only released under court order.

Only for elected officials, not private people.

Real estate sales must be registered with the local government and are public documents under state laws.

I see no reason why state or federal governments could do the same and say that income tax returns are public documents as well.

And rules vary by state on what needs to be released. Here in Utah, the sales price is not a public record unless the person chooses to make it that way. Example, the home I own, on the official county record says the prices was $1 and other consideration. If you dig deeper you can find out if I have any liens on the home, but the lien doesn’t necessarily reflct the value of the home, or how much I may have paid for it. Is the lien a 100% financing? Did i pay cash down that significantly or slightly lowered the amount needed to finance. other such things like that.

mmm- where in the law does it say Congress can’t release them? I mean, not his ss #, but the content. Just asking.

Trump is such a liar, with all his talk of audits.

Does the law override other laws that say a tax return can’t be released to the public without penalty?

Real estate transactions appear in the local papers in Pennsylvania, and they include names of the seller and buyer in addition to the address of the property.

Their government salary and their tax returns are not even close to the same thing. But I know you know that. But for the sake of the argument, you guys know Trumps salary I guess his tax returns are now a mute point.

I’m all for having all elected officials publically releasing their tax returns.

But I see no need to see the janitor at the Smithsonian’s tax return.

Yes, make it public. It would shut up almost half the nation that don’t pay any income tax from moaning about how much income tax they pay.