Should faking a hate crime BE a hate crime?

I don’t share your optimism but I certainly hope you are correct. These hoaxes have to stop.

This isnt about optimism. This is about reality.

People who file false reports are almost always arrested and charged for it. Pissing the cops off by sending them on a wild goose chase isn’t a wise move.

Not really. Not on these high profile racially charged cases. They typically walk. Neither one of us can prove who will be right. So arguing is pointless. But as I said. One of us has to be right. I hope it’s you. We’ll have to wait.

You say they “typically” walk.

Do you have any examples to support this claim?

He will probably be rewarded with a Netflix show.

How do YOU know that?

Please don’t speak for everyone. It’s automatically wrong.

I already did. Can you list any examples to support it?

He needs to tell his lie to the FBI. Give him federal level justice.

No, you didn’t. I understand why you think you did - but you’re missing an important part of how our legal system works.

If an alleged perpetrator is acquited, or has the charges against them dropped, that doesn’t “prove” that the accuser lied - it just means that the prosecuror didn’t have enough evidence to support the accusation.

1 Like

You think the FBI and the DoJ should have jurisdiction to prosecute local crimes?

I don’t know why you’re trying to parse it into pieces. I’ll say it again: Filing a false police report is a crime. Period.

Yes.

10yes

So I guess you’re not a “state sovereignty” sort of guy?

You know what’s ■■■■■■■■■ Kamala Harris saying this:

“And it’s something we should all take seriously whenever anyone, um, alleges that kind of behavior, but there should be an investigation,” Harris added. “And I think that once the investigation has concluded then we can all comment, but I’m not going to comment until I know the outcome of the investigation.”

She’s not going to comment until the investigation is over after serious questions arise as to the veracity of the initial claims… but she couldn’t wait to throw out her initial tweets and comments immediately after the alleged attack happened. ■■■■■■■ hypocritical piece of ■■■■■

In this case, the FBI was investigating the “threatening letter” that Jussie received prior to the “attack”. Jussie believes the “attack” and the letter are connected because the return address on the letter said “MAGA". Smollett needs to tell his lies to the the FBI. The letter appears to be the appetizer to the “attack”. This guy has been working on this script awhile. If he is charged with lying to the FBI, I am good. I would be curious to know if there are others that assisted and supported him. I would not rule out additional crazy at this point. The alt left does not know when to stop, when to back off. Too many players were quickly running towards this fire.

I am a strong proponent of reciprocal charges in circumstances such as this. If a person makes a false claim, whatever the charges are, the same should be lobbed at the false accuser. With the Smollett case let’s add the aggravating component of the “hate crime” as well. I never supported extra jail time based on motive. It’s incredible that we even consider it constitutional that motive is an aggravation on a criminal charge. But here we are. If there had been a real perpetrator, that person would be facing the aggravated charge. Jussie needs to face the music under the current laws, the same laws Smollett’s imaginary racist, homophobic, MAGA, white supremacist attempted lyncher would encounter.

Or maybe she’s just learned her lesson?

Why?.

Technically what Smollett did was a victimless crime. Had he falsely blamed two actual individuals, that would have been a different story. It’s hard for me to say what his punishment should be since the only harm he caused was wasting taxpayers’ money. I think two or three months in jail would be fair.

He potentially lied to federal investigators about the threatening letter.
Lying to the FBI is different that a state level crime.

On a funny note, poetic justice would be if Smollett was the first person to be charged under new anti-lynching bill. Part of a conspiracy to lynch himself!

She didn’t say that.