Should Democrat presidential candidates recuse themselves from impeachment trial?

Interesting theory but you know they won’t.

But that is not want he is being impeached for. It is abuse of his office by asking a foreign leader directly.

Which violated no law, regulation, or policy of The United States.

Senators Warren, Sanders, Klobuchar, and Booker are all active candidates for the office Trump now holds. The should all either withdraw or recuse.

Biden is only one of several candidates running, yet the impeachment claims that he is Trump’s “political opponent”. If you say that only the candidate who actually gets the Democratic nomination is really Trump’s political opponent and would need recuse, then logically you have just rejected the basis for the impeachment.

2 Likes

No they should not.

I agree, better that their abject hypocrisy be on full display.

There is absolutely no basis for the Democratic Senators to recuse themselves.

Of course their is if they are running for POTUS. They have the same conflict of interest that the president was supposedly impeached over and thus should be recused if they won’t recuse themselves.

There is no conflict of interest.

Sure it did.

Then why were those laws, regulations, and procedures left out of the articles of impeachment?

Because they don’t exist.

I’m sure you’ll keep parroting that line in spite of all of the facts.

That would be your norm.

1 Like

We already know it’s a fec violation.

No we don’t, that’s an outright fabrication. If it were that would have been cited in the articles of impeachment.

No FEC violation.

There is a conflict of interest, but I don’t think its any greater than the other conflicts of interest every Senator has. Every Democrat, include those in the primary, wants the Democratic candidate to win 2020 and every Republican wants the GOP candidate to win.

I suppose a Democratic candidate could vote to not impeach Trump on the basis that they think he’ll be easier to defeat then whoever the GOP replaces him with… but why would you want to deny us such theater?

Every democrat senator running for the nomination has a vested interest in doing whatever they can to harm Trump’s election chances.

It’s hypocritical as hell for them to be judging him for the supposed conflict of interest he had in asking that the Bidens be investigated.

Are you saying that there is neither a Constitutional basis nor a law what would prohibit a politician from taking official actions which may give him/her personal political gain? Why…I believe your are right.

Every democrat senator has a vested interest in doing whatever they can to harm Trump’s election chances.

Every republican senator has a vested interest in doing whatever they can to help Trump’s election chances.

All elected officials of the federal government are hypocrites. Welcome to Washington.

If that is true then there is no justification whatsoever to claim he had a conflict in asking for the Bidens to be investigated.

You can’t have it both ways and neither can they.