Separation of children and parents at the border ruled unconstitutional

You shouldn’t.

And you shouldn’t post. But Se La Vie.

I suppose the next time a couple of parents are incarcerated and their children are forcibly removed their lawyer can simply argue their children never got a hearing before the parents were incarcerated. I’m sure that will totally fly. :roll_eyes:

Really, that’s the best you got, little man

c’est la vie Get your french right >:O

2 Likes

Because I can prove they are my kids.

It’s a Klondike heath bar time of night, and this thread seemed the right place to say it.

I read the OP and replies, and my thought after finishing was, It’s a Klondike Heath bar time of night.

How do they make a Klondike Heath Bar?

On the scene? Really? You carry birth certificates just for that reason?

Thats a bold call, Cotton.

No, not on the scene, but readily available, but hey, I guess Trump should just turn them over to traffickers like Obama.

I carry my birth certificate with me 24/7. I know what even though i’m super white, I might be considered Mexican by certain law enforcement officials because i live so close to the border with Mexico. I never never leave my house without an ID, and my birth certification is in my dashboard in case it’s needed. I’m very white, but these precautions haren’t been needed so far.

I don’t know. I’m just happy they do.

Racism is how, and you just don’t want to know.

1 Like

There are other means to “shut down” a Justice or Judge, but safe guards in the system ensure those means are used ONLY against a Justice or Judge who is truly disabled.

71 Stat. 586 as modified by another statute in 1980, allows the President of the United States, upon the signature of a majority of judges of the Court of Appeals of the appropriate circuit, to involuntarily certify a judge as disabled and permits the appointment of a replacement judge. The judges of the circuit may then permanently relieve the judge in question of his caseload. Now the Judge remains a Judge and retains his pay for life, but is removed from duty.

This has been done a number of times when a judge has gone off the deep end, but you almost never hear about it, because they tend to keep things like that quiet out of respect for the judge in question.

Generally, the process doesn’t get that far, with the judge generally voluntarily taking a certification of disability and then voluntarily surrendering their caseload.

A recent example was United States District Judge Patricia Head Minaldi of the Western District of Louisiana, who was certified as disabled and voluntarily surrendered her caseload after developing mental issues which led to her erratic behavior on the bench.

My point is, Congress wrote the law and the Courts can’t rule against it due to the fact Congress has Constitutional authority to make laws that allow for the removal of judges deemed not fit for the bench. And not fit for the bench is completely up to Congress to determine. And they can be removed through this method AND not get paid for the rest of their lives. Its Constitutionally discretionary and Congress’s authority.

The Federalist 78 and other writings of that period indicate that the founders wished for an independent judiciary, i.e. a judiciary that could not be cowed into submission by the wishes of either the President or the Congress or both together. To this end, judges are granted life tenure under good behavior and salary protection.

The linked essay at the Heritage Foundation reinforces the fact that the founders did their utmost to protect judges from political whims of any type.

In the end, the ONLY way to remove a Judge permanently is by impeachment and conviction of high crimes and misdemeanors.

To attempt to do so any other way is an assault on judicial independence.

I will make a footnote of my own.

If being wrong is a basis for removal from office, then we would have to remove just about 100% of sitting judges. Rare is the judge who has not been “wrong” at some point in their tenure, whether having their ruling overturned by a higher court or being on the losing end of a panel decision or en banc decision.

Opening a door to removal on that basis is exactly the same as opening Pandora’s Box.