Senate Majority Leader McConnell supports bill to stop zero tolerance

Do you personally oppose the D bill in its current form, addressing the matter of separating children from their parents and nothing else?

I have to go out shortly so will have to read these later, but promise to do so.

But I will say this. If Congress passes a bill by a large enough margin it won’t matter how Trump reacts. A veto proof majority will prevent him from doing anything except having another twitter meltdown.

I’m convinced that’s why Cruz kept the bill to just preventing families from being separated and beginning to deal with the huge backlog. Ds would have no excuse to vote against such a thing.

1 Like

Japanese American children werent separated from their Japanese American parents. At least we had a modicum of decency back then.

It’s not ridiculous. These actions by our government are horrific and anyone defending this policy is a horrible, dispicable person. They disgust me.

Not even attempting to hide the whistle any longer, is he. :man_facepalming:

My understanding of the D bill is that it releases families and there would be no fear of deportation. With the Cruz bill families can be detained, but will NOT be separated. Then they have to go to a hearing where a judge will decide if they can stay or not. The D bill does not do that, unless I am mistaken.

And since Rs control the agenda in Congress, it will be the Cruz bill that goes forward, not the D one.

A modicum of deceny? American citizens placed in detention camps simply because of their Japanese ancestry. And you call that decent?

Would the fact it was done under a D president perhaps make a difference in that persepctive?

The bill basically undoes the April 6, 2018 memo. It returns us to the status quo before this Trump policy. It simply prevents families from being separated. It’s quite a short bill - feel free to read it (SB 3036).

Thanks, my friend, and you definitely aren’t as well.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

1 Like

The sociopath in the White House called it crazy and lied about how many more judges the bill asked for.

We can’t have a Trump statement without some sort of lie, now can we?

I read that there are currently over 300,000 asylum cases being adjudicated. If Cruz’ bill were to pass, Trump could, theoretically, deport any of those immigrants that have been here for more than 14 days. Then he could just claim he is following the law, just like now.

:hugs:

You do the same Joanne!

He called the Cruz/Cornyn bill crazy? Do you have a link?

I was responding her posting other reasons for Cruz to be for this bill - that he is a father. I don’t believe one needs to be a parent at all to find separating families deplorable and even those with only half a heart find this appalling. Which obviously leaves out Trumplicans on this board because they have no heart. JoAnne obviously is not a Trumplican.

1 Like

Ah…I understand now. My apologies for misreading you here.

1 Like

What you want Mitch, is irrelevant.

What you have chosen is at hand.

It was awful what was done but at least the didn’t take children away from their parents!

I don’t think you are understanding me as you & Nebraska also misunderstood my response to your post about Cruz’s bill.

Its sort of amazing just how quickly the GOP turned the boat around on this issue. I’m thinking those in know got some internal polling information and it freaked them the hell out.

The normal response for current issues is to claim “Fake News”. Not this time though, some numbers got back to them telling them how massively this could hurt them 5 months from now if this keeps up.

The GOP are going to try and salvage any sort of legislative win for holding the kids hostage, . The problem is that Trump will likely scuttle anything that looks moderate…which could lead to deep problems for the GOP if this is allowed to continue for days and weeks.

1 Like

Thanks Slim!! :+1: