Senate Majority Leader McConnell supports bill to stop zero tolerance

Looks like this policy is not so popular…

“When it comes to families, I don’t want people tampering with these families. These kids, they should be with their parents and I’m very upset with what’s happening hear,”

McConnell backs bill to keep immigrant families together

he will be called a RINO in 20 comments or less

And he is indicating that they are going to look at addressing this issue as a stand-alone resolution, and not combine it with any other immigration pieces. Essentially taking away this bargaining chip that the Trump administration has used it for.

The GOP leader, however, argued against trying to add other immigration-related proposals to the measure.

“My assumption is in order to fix this problem you can’t fix all the problems,” McConnell said.

McConnell is no dummy when it comes to politics. He sees what a massively losing political issue this is from an optics standpoint. He is looking to protect his caucus for the midterms.

1 Like

I give Secretary Neilsen till the end of the month till she is out…

Let’s hear the details and logistics of how this could actually work.

The polling so far (from both Ipsos and Quinnipiac) indicates that what’s going on is profoundly unpopular, generally, among Americans, but that it’s supported by a majority of Republicans.

1 Like

well they do not want to stretch it out, every day there is no solution is one day close to the midterms.

Isn’t that nice. As if Republicans needed some bipartisan Bill they could back to act on immigration.

I posted this in another thread, but it’s worth repeating here. This was first proposed by Ted Cruz. Here are the highlights:

Double the number of federal immigration judges, from roughly 375 to 750.

Authorize new temporary shelters, with accommodations to keep families together.

Mandate that illegal immigrant families must be kept together, absent aggravated criminal conduct or threat of harm to the children.

Provide for expedited processing and review of asylum cases, so that—within 14 days—those who meet the legal standards will be granted asylum, and those who do not will be immediately returned to their home countries.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/ted-cruz-emergency-legislation-to-end-family-separation/

1 Like

McConnell is a traitor to Donald Trump and therefore America. He should be tried and imprisoned for his failure to provide unequivocal support and admiration for our Dear Leader in stopping this marauding horde of invaders no matter what their age.

(Figured I’d save the resident parodies the trouble of posting)

3 Likes

Touche’ When I started reading this I immediately thought it was real… :joy:

Is this the complete information on this proposal? If so, it’s a very good proposal.

1 Like

I like this quite a bit and could support this. I would like to see even more immigration judges than this, to handle the backlog of cases even better, but this is a great first step.

1 Like

I would support this…

1 Like

Those are the main highlights. It does not provide for anything Trump wants, which of course is the wall and other things.

It’s simply a bill that would put a halt to the separation of families. I agree it looks really good.

No reason it shouldn’t pass overwhelmingly.

But in the meantime, Senator Hatch is asking DHS to put a halt on this until Congress can get this passed. Shouldn’t take them long hopefully.

3 Likes

I’m guessing Rs are doing it this way (not giving Trump anything he wants) so that it will pass by a veto proof majority. No reason for anyone to vote no on this.

It will deal with the immediate crisis, which is what most of us want to happen.

Good on Cruz, definitely surprised me.

Or once Trump flips and says it is cruel to separate kids from their parents (while throwing DHS and DOJ secretaries under the bus) his supporters will say what a great deal maker and genius he is.

2 Likes

He represents a border state, as does John Cornyn, who was on board with this immediately.

Plus, he’s a dad with small kids.