Senate Intel Commitee Report on Russian interference in the elections

Released today was the first of five volumes of the Senate Intel report on the Russian efforts to screw with the 2016 elections.

The Committee came to the conclusion that no votes were altered and no voting machines were manipulated.

it is 67 pages long with a lot of redactions, so it isn’t that long of a read.

Parts are fascinating, parts are scary. All fifty States were under attack.

It ends with an assessment of what DHS did wrong in communicating the attack to the various States and how it can be done better in the future.

Worth taking a quick read.

I suspect 2020 will be even worse

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/454742-mcconnell-blocks-two-election-security-bills?amp&__twitter_impression=true

I wonder if either of those pieces of legislation are the same ones mentioned in the report @Jezcoe provided?

If not, there are two bills waiting for approval.
S. 1569, the Federal Campaign Cybersecurity Assistance Act of 2019
S. 890, the Senate Cybersecurity Protection Act

The second one is to provide security for congress critters and their staffs so it’s probably a shoe-in.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/454742-mcconnell-blocks-two-election-security-bills?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Paper ballots and being required to contact the FBI if offered assistance from foreign governments.

McConnell objected to both, saying Schumer was trying to pass “partisan legislation.”

“Clearly this request is not a serious effort to make a law. Clearly something so partisan that it only received one single solitary Republican vote in the House is not going to travel through the Senate by unanimous consent,” McConnell said.

In his testimony before Congress on Wednesday, Mueller warned about continued Russian interference in U.S. elections.

“We are expecting them to do it again during the next campaign,” Mueller said.

There yah go. :sunglasses:

Not sure what that means

No votes were altered. Of course Russia would try to interfere but were unsuccessful.

Our beloved former prez tried to interfere in the Israeli election didn’t he?

I thought that was out of bounds.

Still not sure what your point is.

Whoosh i suppose.

Are you pushing the OneVoice bugaboo that isn’t?

Is it an attempt to dismiss a cyber attack by the Russian government on all fifty States because… well I don’t know why really.

I think it’s the same argument that believes you can’t obstruct unless there is crime.

No votes changed = no interference. The same moronic argument so popular around here for going on 3 years.

1 Like