SCOTUS Does It Again

Jerry Garcia might sue from beyond the grave. You don’t know.

Nah, he approves! :blush:

You’re right, but it’s hogwash. A parlor trick.

I agree with you, I expect, on the questions of law.

1 Like

only in the circuit the case was heard in.

No, it’s binding precedent in the Circuit. It’s persuasive precedent outside the Circuit.

Binding in the circuit.

A parlor trick outside.

1 Like

its not persuasive anywhere.

1 Like

Case chosen.

1 Like

Sweet! And of course any law from DC can be ignored by calling yourself a sanctuary state?

Not sure how much good this particular case will do, except for the obvious notion that we don’t have any need what-so-ever to justify our inherent right to self-defense.

Interesting. Is this the one they tried to make moot by crawfishing?

I think its about New York saying you can only get a carry permit if you prove you are in danger. So a possible ruling could clear up that no, the only reason you need is, you have the right to. And if that happens, Dems will use it to “justify” packing the court.

I usually stay out of gun control threads, and probably for good reason. But I will say my peace. And then get back to just reading posts here.

I think that when you serve your time, you have full restitution of privileges unless you are specifically proven to be a danger and cannot enjoy said privileges without extending potential harm to others.

So, if you robbed banks at gunpoint, you probably shouldn’t be able to get a gun once you get out. If you were a child molestor, no schoolyards for you, keep a distance.

Otherwise all rights restored, and that includes gun ownership.

And that includes voting, which some Cons seem to not have such an affection for in terms of restoration. Granted, this is a state restoration and we are talking Federal restoration, but in this thread it evokes a similar chord, disproportionate punishment and denial of a basic right given in the Constitution.

1 Like

What are you talking about? I’ve been a big advocate for restoring rights once a person pays his dept to society.

1 Like

Point taken, I changed it to say “some Cons”. No need for broadbrushing. Mea Culpa. But that is a thing, millions are denied the right to vote for prior convictions in many states, and not just for folks who were convicted of voter fraud, but of any crime outside of a misdemeanor. And a whole lot of the folks denied that right are black.

2 Likes

Isn’t that enough to make it important? Having to get permission from the Government to avail yourself of any right is absurd, particularly when even though they have such a system in place, yet rarely (if ever in the case of Hawaii) give their permission.

The case can be made that if you are too dangerous to be permitted to possess a gun, you are almost certainly too dangerous to be let out of prison.

All of them are important. Especially the ones that were passed up.

An airtight case. Because, guns are far from the only way to kill people.