School lunch shaming will now be against the law in California

The decision being their parents’ and the consequences being on them?

Yes they do.

Children often bear consequences for their parents actions.

What if it’s the students mistake? No kid ever died from missing a lunch. If my kids forgot to bring their lunch or lunch money, I don’t want them fed. I want them to learn there are consequences for forgetting things, missing a meal is not cruel and unusual punishment.

I don’t want them taught other people should pay for their mistake.

So a kid needs to die in order for it to be a problem?

No. Missing one lunch is a long way from dying. Like light years away from it.

So why do their parents pay taxes?

Because the government forces them to? But currently, government does not collect taxes for the purpose of providing free lunches to all students. As I pointed out earlier, I am in favor of changing that, given doing so would probably result in less than a 5% increase in per student spending. If we are going to pay to have them in school all day we may as well include feeding them. As it’s well known, people eat.

I am sure credit card companies are pretty happy we are teaching them all about credit and getting something you want now and paying for it later. Citibank should probably sponsor the program.

I agree that that would be the best scenario but good luck getting people to stop doing that.

So what’s the solution after the fact - leave children to starve ?

^^^^^^^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh I didn’t read the entire thread. By why uniforms ? Communist tendencies ? :wink:

So since you want the federal government involved, are you saying that the State of California is so inept that they can’t come up with solutions on their own?

Make them pay for cafeteria rental, for the seat they are taking up, the air that they are breathing while sitting there. Damn Rich kids think they get stuff for free?

I wonder if perhaps Mr. Newsome heard about this worker:

Bloody embarrassing for the employer who fired her. Apparently this lady knew the family & knew they’d pay, but she disappointed want mom to be brought out of her job to the school that day.

Looks like the in debt for $8 student paid it off the following day. But regardless of family situation, IMO, no student should be shamed or set apart from his peers, much less go hungry.

I support Governor Newsome in that law and think it’s great there are students there, as the young man in the article, who feel the same.

1 Like

Children can be very mean to each other. Uniforms would remove much of the opportunity for children to be mean…based on appearance.

1 Like

Yeah but we both know they’ll still find other ways to bully and be mean.

Removing the clothing factor…would remove much of that ammunition and improve this situation.

Problem is children are just a-holes in general. Removing some ammo is only removing the symptoms.

The root cause is not fixed until (some of the) children grow up.

So you remove the uniforms - they’ll still find a way to call each other fat, short, ugly, freckled, poor, etc… that’s just how it is.

Children in households with incomes at or below 130 percent of the federal poverty level are eligible for free school meals.
Children in households with incomes between 130 to 185 percent of the federal poverty level are eligible for reduced-price school meals and can be charged no more than 30 cents for breakfast and 40 cents for lunch.
Children in households participating in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, and the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations as well as foster youth, migrant, homeless, or runaway youth, and Head Start participants are “categorically eligible” for free school meals.
Children from families with incomes above 185 percent of the federal poverty level may purchase a “paid meal.” Prices for paid meals are set by each school district.
1 Like