School lunch shaming will now be against the law in California

Skipping meals is a great way to cut spending.

2 Likes

I don’t really care how they do it. The important thing is that it is transparent to the children. Under no circumstances should they learn decisions have consequences.

My kids used to get so ticked at me and so did the school. Because when they forgot things, I refused to bring them to them. They were shocked, all the other parents bring their kids their homework, book report, lunches, if they forget them. Sorry kids, now is the best time to learn that your actions have consequences because the consequences are relatively inconsequential. So you lose a few points off your class grade for forgetting your book report, inconsequential compared to losing your job when you forget to do your job as an adult. Learn it now so you don’t have to suffer adult consequences later because your parents didn’t care enough to make sure you learned it as a child.

There were times I forgot to add lunch money to the Kid’s account. My mistake, my problem to solve.

But your kids shouldn’t be hungry because of it. Let him or her eat then you pay back the school. Easy enough.

My problem, my solution.

But on that specific day, your kids shouldn’t be denied food because of a caregiver’s mistake.

No one is denying that…

How much in taxes do you think the one’s that can’t afford to pay for school lunch ar paying?

That’s now how it would work in Utah.

Here in Utah the debt would be reported from the principal to the superindendent. From there superintended would follow any state/federal law to try and collect the money. If the law allwed collection from taxes, the superintended of the district would then submit paperwork to the state tax commission/internal revenue service.

If it were the garnish wages, then it would be the superintendent that petitioned the court – and having a friend who went through it, the costs associated with the civil process are added, so the $700 school luch bill becames a $2,000 bill through garnishment AND it has interest accumulating until paid off.

Shouldn’t be denied food.

But instead of the regular meal, should they be given a less expensive alternative? Under the law that’s not allowed any more.

No. I would imagine the price difference would be minuscule and not worth the effort to differentiate.

1 Like

I’m sure they pay property taxes, income taxes, sales taxes, sin taxes, etc…

Or do their taxes not count because they could be getting more benefits from their taxes than you or I do?

1 Like

BTW, I just looked at my old High School’s lunch menu. The cost per lunch (to the student) is $3.00; how much cheaper could an alternative be when you include the preparation of planning and making the food?

It is my responsibility to provide the food, not the school’s.

Yes, you are.

California didn’t already have a reduced or free meal program available for children whos parents income was under a certain amount?

From the webpage of my school district, in Texas:

"Richardson ISD provides free and reduced-price cafeteria meals for students from families who qualify based on federal government guidelines. The meals served each school day are offered through the National School Breakfast Program/National School Lunch Program.

NEW! Now you can apply for free or reduced school meals online! The process is quick easy and FREE, and in a few short steps you’ll be done!"

What’s the matter with California?

Considering that a school lunch is like eighty seven cents of the world’s cheapest food, I’m not sure it matters.

I definitely trust the point of view of the people who were all about kids being made to do janitorial work to get free lunches.