Rumored deal, bring back the filibuster for holding off on SCOTUS nomination

No, he isn’t

Never said harry changed sc justice confirmation to a simple majority. What I said was old Harry opened the can of worms because the leftist were so full of themselves they thought they were going to rule forever. You all were warned about what was going to happen.

Sorry maybe you want to ignore how the leftist deemed the aca passed. Maybe you want to ignore that the leftist shut out the other side of the aisle. Maybe you want to ignore how they had to get all this done before a new GOP senator was seated. Maybe you want to ignore why there was a wave of seats lost in the house in the mid term elections because the left plugged their ears and told the voters to pound sand.

1 Like

You are ignoring reality. I remember 10 years ago.

The leftist did not even offer to work with the Republicans. No it was you shut up get in the back of the bus.

1 Like

ACA is based on a Republican proposal.

So do I. I went to DC several times before the leftist passed their bill using every dirty trick they could. How much time did you spend trying to get your voice heard? Only to be told by the leftist to shut up we don’t need to hear from you.

1 Like

I have been hung up on by my representative who was a republican leader in the house. They have told me to pound sand just the same.

Now your going to try and use that old half truth again.

1 Like

So it is half true.

Sure.

Only because there was not a Supreme Court opening in the near future. Why would he end it for the Supreme Court? Did he really think he could end it for all other judicial positions and Republicans would uphold it against themselves in the SC?
In Oct 2016 when Dems were sure they were going to take the Senate and Hillary would be President, Reid, who was retiring, was bragging that he had opened the way for ending the Supreme Court filibuster. Schumer would not commit to keeping the Supreme Court filibuster. Of course Republicans weren’t suckers giving up Supreme Court seats only to have Democrats end it as soon as they took over again. Even Republicans aren’t that gullible.

2 Likes

Doesn’t matter. Republicans were the ones to do it. Another escalation in the politics of the 2010s.

Matters. We would still have all judicial filibusters but for Democrats.

1 Like

It’s amusing you believe the GOP wouldn’t have eliminated the judicial filibusters themselves if not for Democrats.

1 Like

Oh yeah, I forgot. Good enough for Democrats, good enough for Republicans.

You might want to look into the history of Reid’s nuclear option and why it wasn’t extended to the SC. The last year of the Bush presidency there were right around 50 cloture votes. In the first year of Obama, there were more than 110. No other president had more than 60 cloture votes in a year, Obama had more than that his first 3 year in office. Besides D.C. district court nominees, the Republican minority was filibustering minor positions and even blocked Chuck Hagel’s nomination, which was the first time a Defense Secretary nomination had been blocked in the country’s history.

So please, continue to expound upon how the Republicans, who have historically abused the filibuster as a minority (57 per year versus 42 per year by Democrats up to the “nuclear option”) are the victims here. Also continue to explain how because someone else does it, it’s OK for Republicans.

Moot point. The Democrats didn’t change the SC filibuster. The Republicans did. Hypotheticals are meaningless.

1 Like

So we can all agree the first ones to do away with the filibuster for judicial nominations were the Democrats.

1 Like

More excuses for opening a can of worms that never should have been opened. You all started us down this road. Now you have to eat your peas.

On a bright note Graham is saying that the votes are there to affirm the nomination.