'Rona Back to School

So the hell what? Are Americans trained monkeys that mimic everything the Resident does or can they make their own decisions?

Click on the curly arrow by your name if youā€™re confused. Iā€™m not required to use the AF to make your life easier. Youā€™re not a mod, quit trying to order me around.

Itā€™s really amazing to see people who served pretending like leadership no longer matters.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the line.

Stop attributing things to me Never said, it is flatly and openly dishonest not to mention tiring.

Its right here:

ā€œSo the hell what? Are Americans trained monkeys that mimic everything the Resident does or can they make their own decisions?ā€

Like I said, pretending leadership no longer matters.

Itā€™s what is taking place right before our very eyes on this forum and out in public.

Which in no way resembles what you claimed, which is an outright lie.

If he was phony enough to wear one everywhere he went from day one it may have influenced some others to follow, that was never even brought up much less under discussion.

Mod Note

You have been warned. You are not going to use military service to denigrate members of this forum. Edit the post and find another argument. If the two of you canā€™t debate without the personal stuff, put each other on ignore.

TOS violation aside, are you now suggesting that leadership from the top does matter?

Is president and VP (head of task force) not wearing masks after issuing guidance to wear them, AFTER issuing guidance to wear them, an example of failure to lead?

Mod Note

Final Warning. Knock it off and disengage from each other now.

Well, I think the kids who will be hurt most from NOT going back to school are disadvantaged kids in poor neighborhoods that depend on schools for proper nutrition. On the other hand, children under 10 years of age appear less likely to spread the disease to themselves or adults.

The lives and education of middle school (which I teach) and high school kids will probably not be damaged by a semester of remote learning. Most teachers around the country have spent the summer working on platforms to deliver their courses online.

The idea that distancing in a classroom will be a ā€œthingā€ have not taught secondary school. Our students will be eating lunch in classrooms with their masks off for 45 minutes, which kind of negates the whole idea of protecting against aerosols. Teaching in a classroom with 15 or 20 (or more) kids is not much different than dining in an indoor restaurant eight hours a day, five days a week.

It is my guess that 2-3 weeks after in-person classes begin, they will become viral hot spots that encourage additional community spread.

I know there are more questions, and I will answer them the best I can.

4 Likes

8 Likes

Seeing as how I had to teach 5th graders not to pee in the sink, I understand where you are coming from, however, yet you can teach them to and then enforce the rule to wear masks. And yes, baring certain issues, you can get kindergarteners to wear them.

1 Like

My concerns may be different as I teach at a private school. The school is currently making its presentation to the FLDOE on how we will provide distanced learning to students who must stay at home to due pre-existing conditions that would put them in a high-risk category should they contact COVID-19. My concern isnā€™t for the students, but for some of the parents who either have pre-existing conditions or in some cases, grandparents who are raising the student.

1 Like

Expect this to only get worse and worse when we force parentā€™s into making the ultimate, horrific decision and gamble with their childrenā€™s lives because the government tells them they must.

2 Likes

The same way remote learning has been done since we started closing schools.

Keep those at high risk protected, let everyone go on with their lives.

A total of just over 300 kids in a population of 22 million people have been hospitalized in Florida since it began.

Nobody is talking about forcing anyone at risk to go to school except you.

Yeah, Trump has not threatened to withhold federal funding if kids are not sent back to in-person classes. That never happened.

:hear_no_evil::see_no_evil::speak_no_evil:

It would be one thing if we had a robust federal response to this pandemic that helped to flatten the curve. If we were on the downward slope of this thing like every single other developed nation in the world, then beginning the process of reopening schools would be more logical. But we are nowhere close to this. We are spiraling out of control across wide swaths of the nation.

Instead of a robust federal response like every one of our peer nations, we got failed leadership from Trump, who tried to gaslight his way through this thing. Ignoring the warnings from the beginning of the crisis. Giving half-hearted hand-waves, assuming it would just die off and go away.

Now that his re-election prospects are in peril, he is making one last ditch effort to save his own ass. He is gambling with the lives of our children, by demanding that all schools reopen in a few weeks or face funding withdrawals. He has stated that this needs to happen in order to keep the economy from contracting even more than it already has. And the economy is really all the man seems capable of running on. So he is betting at the table with the lives of our children and grandchildren.

So, how many dead children sacrificed for the economy will be considered an acceptable loss for you?

1 Like

The schools in my district have already polled parents regarding their choice of education for their child; online with their local school, online with Florida Virtual Schools, or at the physical structure. No one is forcing parents to send their children anywhere.

2 Likes