RIP Akira Toriyama

I’m not usually this “hurt” over someone I’ve never met. Maybe it’s more the show than the man, but I’ve never thought about one without the other either. Most of you are probably too old for this. Some of you are my age. I grew up on Dragon Ball/Z. My children have been growing up on Dragon Ball Super.

Anyway, thanks for all those 30 minute stretches of the rest of the world not even mattering. Godspeed, sir.

3 Likes

I was just a bit too old when Dragonball originally aired but got into it with my stepson who is a huge fan.

1 Like

I first got into it over the meat-headed nature of the show. I got addicted to it for the sheer emotional depths it actually delves into.

I’m gonna miss him. Ironically what got me into his artwork wasn’t DragonBall, but Chrono Trigger and later Dragon Warrior.

1 Like

“Chrono Trigger? Nah, never played it. Looked stupid when I saw the commercial for it.”

“The character artwork was done by Akira Toriyama!”

“Let me just check that out…”

True story. lol

1 Like

I loved that game as a kid.

IMG_0523

I like how Crono is just Goku with red hair lol.

1 Like

He was a Super Saiyan God before it was cool. :wink:

1 Like

Especially the fight between Cell and Gohan. There’s a ton of emotional depth to that entire arc. Best of the show in my opinion.

1 Like

Gohan was always by far my favorite character.

He never wanted to be a fighter, much less the greatest there ever was. He was just never given a choice.

1 Like

For real. And Cell really forced him into a position he wasn’t comfortable with. But in the end it turned out he’s a bit of a sociopath when he’s forced into that position. One of those people who is truly peaceful but if he’s forced to fight, he finds some sort of sick pleasure in it. Even though he hates it.

1 Like

YES!!! :rofl:

1 Like

I got turned onto that series while stationed in Japan. Even though I could not understand a word they were saying, the animation was quite interesting in and of itself.

Watched all of DragonBall, DBZ. bought the GT series on DVD and am now collecting the DB Super series on DVD as well.

3 Likes

Be sure to spoil yourself with the Manga as well.

They kinda robbed Master Roshi in the Tournament of Power with the anime. In the Manga, he’s the reason for Goku discovering Ultra Instinct Sine.