Rex Tillerson says Trump ‘asked him to do illegal things’ as Secretary of State

While I do think Trump is too dumb to know that some of the things he requests are illegal… it shouldn’t be a blanket excuse for every illegal request. Also, Trump often repeatedly says he wants to do illegal things even after people advise him against it.

Yeah too bad Obama didn’t have law-abiding Cabinet members, advisers, and staff! :roll_eyes: His gang just subverted the law or ignored it! :angry:

1 Like

And while “checks and balances” are indeed a fine thing and appear to be working, Trump is putting them under severe stress with no signs he’s understanding or becoming more accepting of the limits on his power.

And sooner or later, more people will start falling on the spectrum when further along than where @Smyrna put himself…at the “Well he has impulses to do illegal things but by God he’s getting things done!” point

At which point c&b start to break down.

1 Like

Urgle burgle! Obama! Argh!

2 Likes

I’m sure of course that detailed evidence will be forthcoming…like you ALWAYS provide…

2 Likes

Show me

Yes, Trump is not a politician so he has to ask…

Goes even further than that. It would be the height of hypocrisy to even pretend that Trump is the only President in American history who doesn’t know everything about everything when it comes to policy and what is and isn’t legal.

1 Like

We would first have to agree on what’s legal or not before I even take that venture.

You made the statement that: Trump often repeatedly says he wants to do illegal things even after people advise him against it.

Either he repeated that often, as you claim, or he didn’t. Should be a simple matter for you to back up your claim. :+1:

Whether or not I choose to create a list has no affect on whether or not Trump repeatedly tried to do illegal things. The reason I’m not going to go listing off stuff is because I know you can easily try to say anything I list isn’t illegal in your eyes.

And look! Over there! >>>>>> Former President Obama (Scourge of the CRCs)!

Your choice of words “Trump often repeatedly says he wants to do illegal things” implies Trump is consciously and intentionally looking to do illegal things. I’m kind of guessing you are simply blowing smoke given that you can’t possibly backup your claim.

Oh, so the president of the United States is simply ignorant of the law. Well, that’s a relief!

1 Like

If that’s how you feel. Would telling border agents to ignore immigration law be illegal or a joke? Would trying to fire the special counsel and then telling the person who you told to do it to lie about it be illegal? I mean, without me knowing if you would find anything Trump does to be illegal, it’s a wasteful effort.

We don’t know with any certainty what transpired on the border in regards to Trump supposed comments. Were they made in jest, if at all? Firing the special counsel is legal and well within Trump’s purview.

So once again we are back to your claim that “Trump often repeatedly says he wants to do illegal things”. He has never said anything remotely close. You simply made it up.

If that makes you sleep better at night.

I think it would be expected that Trump might, in ignorance, ask his staff to do illegal things. A President is not steeped in the intricacies of law so may not know many limitations. I would expect other Presidents have similar experiences.

Upon learning that it was illegal, one wood hope that Trump would drop that line of inquiry.

No big deal.

Well that was informative. Trump would ask Tillerson to do unspecified stuff and Tillerson told him he could only do it if they go Congress to change an uspecified law.
That just changes my whole opinion about unspecified things.

Rex is lying. You should just belief trump.