Republic v Democracy

Isn’t that what I said? In a republic hegemony lies with elected officials, in a democracy it lies with the masses.

And it can be cruel…so what’s protecting us?

3 Likes

No, we elect representatives to stand for us in state government.

2 Likes

I didn’t really like this. In a republican form of government, what is “beyond” the people? I get what you mean and it’s a bit difficult to explain, given the generational indoctrination best summed up in “Ask not what…”

Remember the purpose of the two Constitutions…

This is the 1 point. Another word for “as a whole”.

I think you’re missing the words collective and individual in there somewhere.

And states are supposed to be limited by their own constitution as well as the federal one.

3 Likes

Do rights belong to a collective? Or do rights belong to individuals?

Individuals under law/Constitution.

Just individual. No need for the rest.

The right to freedom of speech is my right. You have it too, but it’s mine, not depending on anything else.

The right to worship is my right. You have it too, but it’s mine, not depending on anything else.

The right to keep and bear arms is my right. You have it too, but it’s mine, not depending on anything else.

The right to be secure in my person, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures and have no warrants issued without probable cause is my right. You have it too, but it’s mine, not depending on anything else.

Now, think about how this rights are diminished, violated, infringed upon by government making laws. Is it not collectively and without due process?

2 Likes

Directly electing politicians doesn’t equal a Democracy. We could do away with the Electoral College tomorrow and we would still be a Republic. Republics are limited by a Constitution or Charter. Democracies are not and are ruled by the will of the majority.

2 Likes

I see Constitution as a contract…reason why I said it.

Many here wants to break that contract, reason why they’re pushing democracy.

3 Likes

No…you will be breaking that agreed upon contract when states joined the union.

2 Likes

The only way you are getting rid of the Electoral College is to amend the Constitution. That is a legal way to amend that contract.

Yes legal…but states will refuse except for states willing to give away their power.

And you would have to be ■■■■■■■ idiot to do so.

2 Likes

All true, I was just pointing out that the Electoral College isn’t what makes us a Republic, it’s the Constitution that limits what government can do.

1 Like

Pretty darn close.

Agreed.

For the record this could easily apply to some members on the opposite side of whom you are referring.

1 Like

They did it with the 17th Amendment

Oh I get it from all 4 parties routinely.

I do enjoy reading the posts of posters who do not fit neatly in a party box.