A senior military commander confirmed Thursday that Iranian back-forces could launch a strike against American targets throughout the Middle East “at any moment.”
“The top commander of U.S. forces in the Middle East says he believes the Iranians or their proxies may orchestrate an attack at any moment,” reports NBC News.
“I think the threat is imminent,” Marine Gen. Frank McKenzie told the network. “We continually evaluate our force posture in the region.”
“They probe for weakness all the times,” McKenzie said. “I would say the threat has probably evolved in certain ways even as our defensive posture has changed and become more aggressive, and we certainly thank our Iraqi partners for many of the things they’ve done.”
“I think we’re still in the period of what I would call tactical warning,” he said. “The threat is very real. ”
The Iranian regime showed new signs of stress from President Trump’s recent round of sanctions last week; with declassified documents revealing the Islamic Republic is “lacking cash” to finance terror groups across the Middle East.
“Newly declassified intelligence shows that Palestinian terror group Hamas had to introduce ‘austerity plans’ due to lack of funding from the Iranian regime,” reports Fox News. “State Department officials say the intelligence that was shared exclusively with Fox News reveals Tehran’s diminishing resources and influence within the region, prompting cutbacks among groups backed by the regime.”
“Due to lack of funding from Iran, Hamas had to introduce ‘austerity plans’ while other Shia militia groups were told by Iran that they need to find other sources of revenue as Iran is no longer in a position to provide them the funds,” adds the author. “This coincided with Lebanon-based Hezbollah’s calls on social media to donate to piggy banks. The group apparently used even children to attract contributions.”
President Trump ratcheted up pressure on Tehran last week; deploying an additional US aircraft carrier to the Persian Gulf after intelligence reports showed Iran was planning attacks on American interests in the region.
In response, Iranian officials reportedly ordered a massive increase in the production of enriched Uranium; openly defying the Trump administration as tensions between Tehran and Washington rapidly escalate.
“Iran has quadrupled its production of enriched uranium amid tensions with the U.S. over Tehran’s unraveling nuclear accord, two semi-official news agencies reported Monday, an announcement that came just after President Donald Trump and Iran’s foreign minister traded threats and taunts,” reports the Associated Press.
Read the full report at NBC News.