Remember the FOXCONN factory in Wisconsin......the one where Trump and Walker broke Ground

So what now? Do we give Corning a sweet tax deal too?

Me too. Along with our hyper-partisan Attorney General Brad Schimel and R Senate candidate Leah Vukmir. I’ve been happily listening to local ConzTalkRadio today.

1 Like

exactly why my republican family switched against walker.

1 Like

its not the suicide they are worried about, its the bodies falling onto the workers who hadn’t yet resolved to die that caused the problems.

1 Like

A year later… and the Foxconn thing remains a boondoggle.

All of the incentives, tax breaks and eminent domain seems to be all for naught.

Wow a golden oldie resurrected.

Mike Moore should make a movie

FoxCon—how trump and Walker got played.

Allan

Yeah…Sometimes it is good to continue to follow up on stories.

1 Like

Whoever the Democratic nominee is would be wise to blast this all over Wisconsin in the General Election next year to remind people what happens when you blindly trust in a conman.

They could certainly hit on the eminent domain abuse in Racine County.

https://beltmag.com/blighted-by-foxconn/

Racine county went for Trump by a little over 4,000 votes.

https://journaltimes.com/news/local/racine-county-goes-for-trump-johnson/article_2ac400ec-677a-5386-83be-29d1f24a7f5e.html

Talking about this failure and abandonment by the President could really win points IMO.

Great point. Pound against the back-turn from the forgotten man.

I can’t emphasize enough how big of a deal these innovation centers were made out to be. Another is in Madison. They bought a huge six story building right across from the capitol building, where it continues to sit empty. As do all the other “innovation centers”.

Also, Foxconn made a big deal about a partnership and a $100 million gift to UW Madison, but that is a big nothing too.

The company seems to like to make grand gestures with ridiculous public signing ceremonies, with not a thought to following up with substance.

But more than one year since the partnership to develop the Foxconn Institute of Research in Science and Technology (FIRST) was announced, the company and university’s ambitious promise appears unrealistic. The university has only received $700,000, though the original timeline for the $100 million gift, plus a matching $100 million from UW Madison, was set at five years, John Lucas, assistant vice chancellor of UW Madison communications confirmed in an email.

1 Like

We could add the Carrier jobs to this story as well. The Trumpers still believe his jobs creation garbage. So much for left leaning media bias…

1 Like

shocked that this is not getting more traction. What a way to piss tax payer money down the drain

1 Like

Bet the people who lost their family home to this boondoggle remember come Election Day.

Allan

1 Like

Foxconn is one of the main reasons Scott Walker lost his job in 2018.

1 Like

I dont think any subsidies should be provided. It’s usually taken out of tax money that could go to better the schools and communities. It’s a race to the bottom.

Not just eminent domain. They changed alot of the EPA laws to let Foxconn pollute as well. Whole thing was bs and they probably knew it earlier then revealed but ran with it anyways

That would be the ideal utopian way.

Unfortunatly even here in conservative Utah, lawmakers have passed laws to help businesses. I fought my county commission on one and got a partial win. The company wanted x amount of money no questions asked. I helped get information about that out, and the company got a small win, they got a much lower amount from my county, and the commissioners asked a lot of questions.

Utah’s laws changed after the Micron fiasco. They got all the money up front and then put off building for 10 years. Their campus in Utah is now huge, but the legislature learned their lesson. On the state level – when money is approved – it’s in yearly increments now, and the company has to hit certain benchmarks. They don’t his the benchmarks, they don’t get money.

The program my county has used – the companies submit a request for “re-capture money” – essentially the money from increased value in the land (difference in tax from propery worth 100 vs property worth 1,000). BUT the county commission must approve the funds going to the company every year.

It does good in some ways I understand. Here we have starter blocks where small startups are subsidized with cheaper rent. But theres problems when Culver’s builds a resteraunt and gets a couple million dollar tax break when the ma and poo hot dog place next door has to grind it out

1 Like